Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeing Green: My time with 308427S

Seeing Green: My time with 308427S

Well, the Early 911S Registry inspires and entertains: information new & old, enthusiasm & friendly people, goodies for sale. This community was integral to my deciding to buy a Porsche. Wound up with two, but so it goes, no?

It’s time to start reporting back on my experience with 308427S. One way or another I’ll manage to go through this car honestly & correctly. This will challenge me greatly, yet so far I’m simply fascinated and there is hardly enough time to work on the car – let alone study up on all the archived data here - I am having a blast & have decided to share the process. I can only really get it right by comparing my work to yours and by visiting. We are lucky to be able to do so. I’ll let the car speak for itself – through my lens of course - and give back to this community while I am out there swimming in gasoline. This car is not on the fast track, but I wanted a project and I got one. The time is now… but then I think we’ll drive it around this summer

Path to a Porsche - I joined the Registry back in August during a biz trip to San Diego as I fully realized that my intention to find a significant automobile boiled down to an early S. The V-12 Ferraris of interest quickly shot out of range as I studied and watched over the past 3 years – and the condition of cars in my range added to the environment for Ferrari restoration in general brought that quest to a halt. Then there were the English cars and the Shelbys, a few other American cars… Alphas even… all nice cars…

But what about all those Volkswagens?
    They were somehow all around me most of my life – my sister had a blue ’74 beetle which I restored when I was 16 after fuel line related engine fire. My Pop’s company ran 2 other white 74’s from new until just last year for his ABQ engineering firm (they had 6 going at the height of errand running needs in the mid-eighties – Sportswagen & Jim Elder kept them going). My sister and I learned to drive in the two new cars in Mom’s back yard horse lot. Then there was the Brunswick blue 63 ragtop that my aunt bought new in Germany when she taught there as a young woman. She imported the car to Boulder CO. I remember her showing up in it to our house in ABQ when I don’t know how little I was. I got that car in 1980 from my grandmother who had taken it when my aunt bought a new 72. I wound up with that car as well, drove it another 60000 miles, restored it pretty well & sold it to a fellow in Stonybrook NY. There were others, and it all culminated with the NM native ’71 bus which I brought along as far as I could to be enjoyed either out cruising or over-nighting in the Ski Santa Fe parking lot. I’ve had other marks and have grown up around world class cars thanks to Dad's never ending passion & horse sense. But all those Volkswagens… coupled with my first car, a 63 Corvair of all things… I swore to my wife when the bus sold to Tampa that that was our last rear engine car…

...unless we got some Porsches somehow That was almost nine years ago…
    Last edited by friggens; 04-30-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Name:  IMG_7751.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  153.3 KB

308427S is a solid & complete car. It sold out of La Joya to Fort Worth in 2002 – on EBay even then. The man in Fort Worth is a busy doctor and rancher – he enjoys driving Porsches and made this car a dependable driver parked in the company of 4 or 5 other P-drivers. He had receipts to document what he had done, having hired Rich Lambert there in FW for most of the work. Then about 10k miles and 12 years later, up onto EBay to help out his kids. I look forward to tracking down some earlier history: got the COA and it checks out. Now I await the kardex to see if there is any intriguing info about dealers or owners. Also have letters in the post to known addresses in La Jolla/San Diego…

My take on condition is that it likely was a SoCal car but it has had the battery tray replaced. I believe that was a fairly extensive restoration event with paint (not high quality) and perhaps some other sheet metal work at least 14 years ago. I just don’t know yet, but the rockers look really good, front fenders are numbered and I see no sign of significant damage ever in the body. The passenger door does not line up as it should (sets away from body plane abit - although it clicks shut) and is the only indication of significant body work other than the area around the tank - and some reinforcement around the right rear swaybar mount. Floors are dented but solid. Still, more rust than a native New Mexico car would have Maybe they traded out some bumper parts or a deck lid – but it all fits sooo well… we’ll see. The driver’s side of the car is really perfect minus some dings & dull paint. This will all come clear when it gets body work and paint anew. That is a job to approach carefully and in due course. I am simply assuming there will be challenges specific to rust. Right now I just made it through the Webers & have finally realized a tuned, tested, solid 2.0 L 911S engine for the first time in my life. WOW MAN!!!!!! The drive home from FW was good – the car did not let me down & I did not break it, but especially as I climbed into New Mexico, it was obviously under-performing. In the meantime I have gone over the car and over the car. Fluid changes, testing, valve adjusting, testing, carb tuning, testing, valve adjusting, testing, carb rebuilding, testing, mopping up gas, testing, fuel delivery 101, testing, notes & much study, testing. No disassembly yet except for the Webasto and steering rack pan. I fully anticipated tearing the car down almost immediately, but the condition of the running gear & my big ass grin are saying, “DRIVE IT!! Enjoy the summer!!” (& try to honestly figure out how I can proceed despite my HOA) (& buy parts ).
    Last edited by friggens; 04-30-2014 at 12:44 PM.

The old paint will simply not shine, so we are going as dull as a box of ultra-fine scotch brites can take it -
    Name:  IMG_7949.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  103.5 KB
    ... for now.

Seats are pretty good work from a FW shop. They need some work in the reclining mechanisms, perhaps stiffer padding in the long run, or some sporties...
    The door panels were adulterated for speakers. They will need to be redone. Headliner has only one tiny rip, but extensive discoloration from the sheet metal I guess. It may have to go as well. Carpets are great if I can get them out intact. Already have a nice New Yorker to replace the modern radio (I need TULIP knobs!!).
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  115.2 KB

Engine as it was after removing -some- chrome Powerplant received a top end rebuild including new cylinders and pistons, tensioners and guides + sheet metal restoration from Rich Lambert. Engine work is at least moving lower on the 'what'll it cost' list for now -
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  133.5 KB

JT - my youngest helper - He recommended replacing the plug wires, which I did!
    I am on notice to figure out child restraint for the back seats
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  110.3 KB
    Last edited by friggens; 04-30-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Bench space for Weber IDS work - took photos all throughout to avoid confusion. I think unless they are damaged or really worn out, they are elegant and straight forward to work on. Mine had never had the throttle plates out.
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  129.7 KB

Weber IDS back in the car after replacing the 1967 teflon (what a difference!!!) -
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  128.0 KB

The Webers are beautiful - both to look at and to work on. My last jet change, idles from 52 back to 60 at altitude, took no more than 5 minutes.

My thanks to Paul Abbot at Performance Oriented (for your wonderful web-posted notes & posts here), Kurt Donohoe at Parts Klassik, Larry Turner at the Oil Analysis Company (PMO dist) (for parts and discussion), and of course Pierce Manifolds (for the jet sets and other bits) -
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  103.0 KB

Workspace keeps developing with the specific tasks on both cars - How much can I do in here?
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  133.2 KB

Fuel and oil pressure gauges visible - oil idles at 18-20 psi, then up to limit of 100 psi SW gauge as soon as throttle is applied. Dash gauge shows too low for comfort at idle, but they say in the manual not to worry about it. Now I won't worry about it -
    Name:  91.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  141.4 KB
    Last edited by friggens; 04-04-2014 at 07:47 AM.

The 0-5 psi fuel pressure gauge for testing over time. The Facet pump Dad had on the shelf off an E-Type since 2002 is putting out 2.5 - 3 psi, clickity click. Seems like enough and its dependable so far. The Hardi, which put out 4 psi was failing to pull gas when the car was hot, especially after shutting it down and going back to start it up 10-15 min later ;(. That led to real fuel supply inspection, fuel line replacement & way too much gas on the garage floor. In the end, that pump placement is just not so good from the factory in 1967. Mine will get better when the electricals go back from ther CDI to original, making room for proper mounting of the pump again, but still - the pump is sucking up a grade to bring gas to the Webers.
    Name:  92.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  132.9 KB

And this... I could not resist posting - two nights ago - primitive entertainment

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GPcclhhrUhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers!!!! & feel free to comment or contact me anytime -
    Last edited by friggens; 04-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Subscribed my friend
    Cool to see you have started a project thread, I will do the same within a few weeks.

Cheers, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Most kind Radmund! This is about all I'm getting done today. I am procrastinating on preparing tax returns -

Great thread, I will enjoy the adventure reading about it
    69 Bahama T
    S Reg# 2753

Thanks WT! I'll add more performance data next. The Weber rebuild and tuning, leak down, compression & a novel way to adjust the valves after much trial and error.

Great stuff, Mike . . .

Really enjoying those bright/clear/close pics

. . . and thanks for the 'ride-along'!

We Can Be Heroes