Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Seeing Green: My time with 308427S

Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Mike,

I'm envious that you can get away on those roads during the week. A lot less traffic to enjoy your car.

Dana
    Hi Dana - I am definitely taking advantage of any time I can find. And if I am going to push that cart around, it deserves these conditions. I am likening it to flying a plane. I have never driven west south and east, not to mention north all through town and up and down the mountains here, all in a day and all to keep coming to terms with an old car! The desire to drive it is big... in equal proportion to the way it runs. My weekends are actually pretty tightly wound with family as well. Early Sunday morning is still the best time to be on the freeway. Still trying to line up a visit to you! Cheers -

Yep Chris... that show picked the cream of ABQ spots. Then out to the Ponderosa as the shite is really hitting the fan. I almost fell over when he walked into that old bar. It really used to rock on the weekends and they always had hot Green Chile stew... Tonight I can let my wife start us watching the last season for the second time - I had put it off. I had no intention of the bar or Breaking Bad during the drive today, but when I parked there to take photos, an old lady was collecting cans along the road there. When I said hello and that the Ponderosa was shut down for a while I guess, she started talking about the scenes shot there when Walter White was out in hiding... everything that happened today was spot on. Even the floats...

I will look forward to yer friend from Santa Clara. You mean the bad guys? cheers man -

Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Got it! ;-)

A good friend of ours from Santa Clara was one of the "White Warriors" and played other bit parts for the last 2 seasons!
    Last edited by friggens; 10-23-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Oh yeah Mike, mine has the spacers, and I realized that I forget to let you in on the other 'secret' There is a drilling modification that needs to be done to the float bowl covers to improve the venting for those times when you turn off a hot engine, helps prevent the fuel siphoning into the throats. P.M.O. used to sell a drill guide that you used to correctly drill the vent holes, I assume they still do. Also Paul Abbott is wealth of information on the venting subject.
    Thanks Ed!!! I have reached the point where I am ready to talk to Paul on the horn PM sent The spacers make a hell of a lot of sense. Items I have always made sure to put back as I found them on big blocks, but I never really experienced the effects of fuel and heat at the carburetor this close up until now. I bet my bus had these issues as well, but I bet that's one reason the manifolds were so high. It never let me down... except when number 4 exhaust broke off, but I digress. Cheers!
    Last edited by friggens; 10-23-2014 at 04:46 AM.

OK - I did check the float levels today! Funny thing was when I parked the car in the shop, the Webers were cool. After all that!!!

I couldn't complain I guess, and after standing around looking at the car for a while I realized it couldn't hurt to put the gauge on a bowl or two. I could check when engine was at operating temp, and wait to see if the level rose as the temperature of the throttle body rose through the manifold. Well, I checked all 4 in the end and found perfect meniscus upper edge at upper line of the gauge no matter - running or as the carb warmed up...

Name:  IMG_9110.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  62.4 KB

The manifold base was 144 F max and the throttle body temp never came above 107 degrees. Not hot enough to boil or soak much at all.

Name:  IMG_9124.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  89.9 KB

I even had ground down my 16mm socket, ready to treat the brass valve caps as well as I could, but I am OK with float levels on all bowls. I learned that it is a nice check to make - if you don't have to actually change the float level

Name:  IMG_9117.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  95.7 KB

The take home here is to help keep the carbs from ever getting that hot. They run great cool! I can guarantee no spark issues today either...

I certainly appreciate all the help and insight.

Perhaps the real lesson for me today was that the car really is happier going pretty fast. By far!!!!!!
    Last edited by friggens; 10-23-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Well, took the car up through town and out S 14 again, then down again directly to pick up my son this afternoon... to sort of pinch myself, learn a little more and check it out again.

Car is consistently performing without a hitch although it takes longer to warm up on cooler day than yesterday. I'll quit going on about current performance unless something interesting happens... But what a way to get inspired about gasoline boiling point (about 140 F at sea level, less here at altitude), and tuning in general.

Basic principles of internal combustion and carburetion, and old hat to many of you: coming together for me by way of new experience with a 911 hotrod. That car makes me pay more attention!! Cheers!!

& 62 more miles today...

Uh, another 98 miles today... Time goes by very fast while driving. Wound up in Madrid on N Hwy 14 with very little traffic. Quick little car

Cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by friggens View Post
    Uh, another 98 miles today... Time goes by very fast while driving. Wound up in Madrid on N Hwy 14 with very little traffic. Quick little car

Cheers!!
    That is a great stretch of road, and a nice day for it no doubt! Cheers
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Hey Chris - There is about 8 miles of fresh pavement right out of Cedar Crest, past Paco out to Golden on that one too... And real straights with robust passing lanes between the twitties and climbs... Glad you know the road - it has for many years now been my favorite drive - open backcountry hwy and the 'backway' to Santa Fe.

I didn't buy the car to drive it this much, but then I've never had a car like this to drive . Its a big change for me, so as far as driving goes, we'll have to see what happens. I'll go to SF on same hwy again on Tuesday to meet some more p-car nuts, perhaps a culminating drive as its getting cold and I've reached my goals for the car this year beyond what I had ever expected. This week was one good drive leading to another based on the way the car is performing. Just can't have that every week...

And my old man is funny. When I found him yesterday tinkering with hood alignment and I mentioned boiling, soaking and phenolic spacers, he lit up like the kid was finally coming to understand how the world works. 4 out of 5 vehicles he took me out to examine by flashlight, including Mom's 74 Chevy 454 pickup had phenolic spacers from 1/8" to 1/2" sandwiched between gaskets. Dual SU's on an old Bentley did not have any at the carbs hanging up off to the side, but they were pretty far up out of the way over a V-8, so maybe this is not a problem to be solved for that design.

Just 'cause yer Dad knows something is certainly no reason to expect the next generation has a clue

Or vice a versa??

& Durango is not that far away!! - and speaking of Durango, I scored some nice Stockli's last night at the annual Ski-Swap... And my buddy is insisting on Silverton in January to celebrate his turning 40. That's supposed to be some nice skiing up there. I learned to ski at Purgatory when I was in 5th grade... but I spend most time at Santa Fe and Taos. I imagine you are skiing plenty up there...

Have fun!! Snow is coming...
    Last edited by friggens; 10-25-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Weber Jewelry... another post in the interest of too many photos

In an ongoing effort to run without the airbox or any guilt about it, I inquired here about screens to go over the Air Correction Jets. Paul Abbot makes them in silver or gold...

A set of 4 arrived in just a few days after ordering... real bobbles, nicely made - thanks again Paul. The IDS float chamber vent tubes rise above the screen height and so instead of removing them (which I simply do not want to do), after some hesitation, I shamelessly took an awl to the screen at the risk of destruction...

Name:  IMG_9130.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  74.0 KB

I carefully made a center hole the size of the awl dia., wallowed it out a bit, then trimmed the curled screen with nail scissors

My reasoning is that the car will not run in dusty conditions this way anyhow Of course the car will not sit out in the rain either - and the vent hole is small, nearly covered by the stack screens -

Name:  IMG_9133.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  129.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9137.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  102.0 KB

Paul indicated that the spec opening to the vent is actually smaller than the ID of the tube, so apparently we can put a 'plug' with even smaller hole that will further reduce any chances of debris entering the chamber - I can live with that

The screen, which had a slightly smaller dia. hole in the screen after the awl work, was carefully worked side to side to finally fit snugly over and around the tube.

Name:  IMG_9138.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9142.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  149.7 KB

AND, looks like there is no rain in the forecast this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers!!

October 31st… Halloween, leaves on the ground, chilly morning, but this is still perfect driving weather for a 911 in New Mexico.

The driving force goes on to nuance each day despite plans to park the car. October was my deadline, but a few days into November will be fine for car and driver alike...

Tuesday I was finally able to follow through on connecting with motoring enthusiasts up in Santa Fe. I met Terri Morgan earlier in the year while he was judging cars at the PCA Roadrunner Fiesta back in May in Albuquerque. He expressed interest in the car from a restoration perspective based on his experience with a ‘66 911. That made me want to visit him at his garage… Terri invited me out to their lovely home where a beautiful Ivory car was parked in the driveway when I drove up. He graciously showed me his pride and joy and we spent about an hour comparing the two cars and visiting. Terri took me for a ride in the ’66 through the hood, and we took my car to lunch in town.

Tuesday was chosen for the solo return trip to Santa Fe because Terri recommended that we could go from his house to have lunch at the weekly Car Table. I also wanted to hook up with Terri’s good friend Tom Linton, who I had met briefly at another little car show in ABQ this fall. Both these guys are regulars at the Car Table. If ever a 911S served a man as a calling card...

I was seated and introduced to folks at the table. Can’t remember everyone, but next to me was a chair we were saving for Tom, on my right was a Formula Ford racer named Charlie Daniels, across from me was Harold Williams, a seasoned Porsche race car driver and long time lead driving instructor for the Bay Area PCA. Next to Justice Daniels sat down none other than Sean Cridland, who like these other guys, I find has a reputation that precedes him. He came sporting a copy of Panorama 990 which of course includes his spot on, crisp account of Fred Veitch’s conquest of Pikes Peak. My goodness. At the next table were many folks I did not meet, but which included Admiral Robert Phillips, a very well-known owner of a very well-known blue ’55 Ferrari 500 Mondial Spyder…

Crazy. Lunch discussion included introducing my car, but mostly I was fascinated to listen not only to Tom’s account of his Scottsdale Concourse event two days prior with Olive, his impeccably restored ’73 911T (he was docked a total 1.88 points for dust on his jack and in the engine compartment and the seats were not lined up), but also to Sean’s plans for an upcoming Porsche racing article research trip through Florida, and accounts of racing Formula Fords all over the country from Charlie. Harold and I agreed that I may be lucky to come into this in humble NM rather than out in the intensity of the Bay Area – either way, I feel real lucky and there are sure a bunch of nice folks out there, all over the place.

Now keep in mind I am from here. Native New Mexican. But that doesn’t mean I had any idea who is living up in the City Different and tinkering with cool cars. In finally nailing down a few nice machines, I’ve become inspired to meet folks mired in the same passion: Retrograde connoisseurs of fuel and motive power. Thanks to Terri, I left Santa Fe Tuesday afternoon late for picking up my kids in Albuquerque… 70 miles I had to move down I-25 , but also filled with the thrill of encountering such a welcoming and seasoned group of Motorheads.

That’s also why I started writing here in the first place: learn about my own car and meet people, all the while hopefully putting ‘newbie’ behind me as fast as humanly possible . I am however always in awe of my peers, their accomplishments and the depth of their involvement. I am humbled and I send out a big thank you especially to Terri Morgan and Tom Linton. I look forward to meeting up again a little further down the road!

Tom also took the time to visit with Terri and I later while he unloaded Olive at his shop. Tom’s full on involvement with RSR and IROC Porsches as well as his restoration work over the years was fascinating to hear about up close with the Man… here are a few shots of Olive, and of Terri Morgan’s lovely ’66, taken just before I hauled ass home…

Nice to see a set of Harvey's wheels up close for the first time...

Name:  IMG_9188.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  131.7 KB
    Terri Morgan & "Olive"

Name:  IMG_9189.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9190.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  155.6 KB
    Tom points out the dust in the engine compartment - obviously from the car cover...
    Dust on the jack, kept in plastic bag always, could not be explained. A mystery.
    Car looked perfect

Name:  IMG_9186.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  141.9 KB
    Terri's '66 w Tony Garcia seats.

Name:  IMG_9185.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  135.0 KB
    1st Time I've driven behind and along side another SWB with my little car. Fun times again...
    Terri found a New Mexico original and has put countless hours into the car. Even has the original fuel pump!

By the way, I drove up N Hwy 14 through 8:30 ABQ traffic to get out to Santa Fe on Tuesday. It was cold and I saw my oil temperature decrease as I headed through the mountains near Madrid. Car ran like a bat out of hell back there with hardly any traffic. And the heater worked too Drove yesterday out South on I-25, which I decided is the best immediate exit to open country Interstate driving out of Albuquerque. 4100 rpm = ~ 87 mph in the flats cruising.

Another 225 miles… Thanks for riding along !!!!!!!
    Last edited by friggens; 11-03-2014 at 05:18 PM.