Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSR season opener !

CSR season opener !

Spent a magnificent spring day in the sunshine at Sonoma Raceway / Sears Point Saturday. As always, good friends, neat cars and robust action on the track………….although I must admit with more than a little sadness that these wonderful weekends with the greatest vintage sports car racing club will never be the same without John Thornton.

Turnout seems to be getting lighter and lighter with every meeting, not as many cars were there as I have come to expect, but then the weather was a bit chancy right up to Friday morning.

Enjoy the photos, and let me know if you would like more info on any particular cars.

Cheers,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 04-07-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Beautiful shoot'n John......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Nice pictures, but why do attachment pictures now appear too wide for the "frame"? I now get a scroll bar and while the size is close it cuts off the right side until I slide the bar, then it cuts half as much from the right and an equal amount from the left.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Outstanding photos John. Do you have more photos and info on the stone gray 911 number (902) ?
    Thank you for posting
    Curt
    Last edited by Curt Hammill; 04-06-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Curt,

that is the late John Thornton's Nov. '67 built, (ergo a '68 MY) 912. He commissioned famed builder Gary Emory of McMinnville, OR who had the rust free and complete car as part of his 'inventory' in a patch of weeds behind his shop, to create this race-car with a strong 911R persona. I'd say Gary succeeded.

The car is fast, partly because John Thornton was an accomplished driver, the engine is strong, dynoed at 148 HP @ 6900rpm at the rear-wheels, and partly because John and Gary endeavored to take every ounce of weight that wasn't essential to speed and safety out of the car……..winding up with a vehicle weight of 1884 lbs. at the start-line - without a single fiberglass part on it anywhere.

Picture No #1 shows John behind the wheel taking the president of a local children's hospital, who was the recipient of a check from the proceeds of CSRG's charity race weekend for a few demo laps. If you'll do a little digging, you will also find a complete description and history of the car in an article in a past issue of "Excellence".

The car was recently sold.

JZG

See you Saturday at Canepa's ?

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

…………while I'm at it, and if there are no over ruling objections, I'd like to post some more shots from my visit to CSRG last Saturday.

As always, there was a strong Alfa contingent.

…….as well as a good group of English and various other marques.

Lotus was out in good numbers but no British car attracted as much attention as the 'new" Morgan three-wheeler". What a fascinating vehicle. Much stronger, safer and far better built than any original '30s three-wheeler, it features a U.S.-made S&S 2-liter twin cylinder motor making 125 hp with huge torque and a five-speed transmission. Morgan went into this project almost as a lark intending originally to make 200 "new" 3-wheelers, but it rapidly got over 1000 orders and the thing is currently by far their best selling product.

……………..when the owner finally left, a salty old motorcyclist next to me dryly observed - " Hmm, it's been here an hour and not a drop of oil under it on the ground - what's the world coming to ".
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 11-24-2015 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Curt,

that is the late John Thornton's Nov. '67 built, (ergo a '68 MY) 912. He commissioned famed builder Gary Emory of McMinnville, OR who had the rust free and complete car as part of his 'inventory' in a patch of weeds behind his shop, to create this race-car with a strong 911R persona. I'd say Gary succeeded.

The car is fast, partly because John Thornton was an accomplished driver, the engine is strong, dynoed at 148 HP @ 6900rpm at the rear-wheels, and partly because John and Gary endeavored to take every ounce of weight that wasn't essential to speed and safety out of the car……..winding up with a vehicle weight of 1884 lbs. at the start-line - without a single fiberglass part on it anywhere.

Picture No #1 shows John behind the wheel taking the president of a local children's hospital, who was the recipient of a check from the proceeds of CSRG's charity race weekend for a few demo laps. If you'll do a little digging, you will also find a complete description and history of the car in an article in a past issue of "Excellence".

The car was recently sold.

JZG

See you Saturday at Canepa's ?
    Just adding a bit to John's excellent description of "902". It sports a 71 911S Aluminum decklid as part of it's weight saving program. The car was recently purchased from John Thornton's widow Petie and will be Vintage Raced in it's current form just as John would have wished.

Regards

Jim
    PS: Now I know where our resident photographer was on Saturday morning.

Typical of CSRG, there was a strong showing of open-wheel racers, everything from historic F-1 to the minor classes.

The black #5, an ex-Mario Andretti Lotus 77 with several GPs in its provenance.

Ex- Jodi Scheckter Tyrrell.

Thanks for taking a look.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 11-24-2015 at 03:19 AM.