Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari - Then and now !

Ferrari - Then and now !

At last weekends CSRG season-opening charity event, the late David Love's ( co-founder of CSRG ) '58 Ferrari 250 TR was displayed in solitary, majestic splendor. One of 21 Testa Rossas produced (19 customer cars, 2 factory racers ) it embodies completely the very essence of the large, fast, sports cars of the classic post-war period built without compromise and by hand to win LeMans and the other major endurance races.

A few feet away, a fat, obnoxious, grossly arrogant, old one-percenter was enjoying his 15 minutes of fame amid the mindless adulation of the drooling and texting unwashed over his brand-new FF Ferrari that he had just picked up at Ferrari of San Francisco that morning and condescendingly announced that "I thought the spectators wanted to see it, since it's the first FF sold in Northern California".

The difference between the classic sports racer with impeccable provenance vs. the current, flashy, plasticky, 4-wheel drive, robotically built SUV coudn't have been more dramatic and telling about the state of sports cars in general today.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

………….versus the best Maranello has to offer currently.

The End is near.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

History will not treat that car very well.

But VERY nice images of the Testarossa... my goodness

Ferrari - Then!

John...Sorry to hear but I wasn't aware that David Love passed away...what a nice friendly man, always approachable, calmly "fiddling" away with his beloved TR, low key, no bragging just calm and cool...had the pleasure of meeting him via a Porsche/Ferrari/ Alfa-friend up north...and was amazed how relaxed he was around his TR...the Hood-lid leaning against the car just barely, tools on a little towel by the fender, changing oil on jack stands etc, etc...just himself and his car...also very cool to hear him telling the story how he got the TR...more or less by mistake, I believe...RIP mr Love.../ Lars...
    Last edited by larwik; 04-07-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

I was on the race track many times with him. It's such a great story.
    The cool thing about his TR, is that he had the original wood spares box with it.

It's nice that it's staying local too.

An even more fabulous one sold at auction just before, with incredible lemans history. Frankly the TR should be more highly regarded than the GTO.

I would rather have the SUV Ferrari...

I would much rather have the SUV Ferrari...

I can tell you from personal experience that owning Vintage Ferraris (330GTS, 206GT, 246GTS, 365GTB4 Daytona) is really stupid.

I cannot fit my (2) big German Sheperds with Bicycles in my 28,000 Mile Original Paint 246GTS Dino Spyder...

So what is the point of owning the car?

I just love old Ferraris and would own the Bardinon collection if I had been into fur business.
    Well, I am not, so I drive Porsche...

To me, adorable Ferraris ended with the Daytona or maybe the 308GTB and 512BB. Most of them were Pininfarina designed, almost a sure guarantee for splendid styling at the time, for sure.

However, I feel the most fantastic bodies on a Ferrari chassis were designed in the 50ies by Vignale. Marcel Massini's fabulous book on those cars is a must! Then add the few 250s with Zagato bodies and the two 250s with Bertone bodies, and what a nice theme you have for a collection: the non-Pinins!
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    ………….versus the best Maranello has to offer currently.

The End is near.

JZG
    I know the Panamera gets no love, but it's a masterpiece compared to that frightpig.

The red head on the other hand is still looking pretty good.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    I would much rather have the SUV Ferrari...

I can tell you from personal experience that owning Vintage Ferraris (330GTS, 206GT, 246GTS, 365GTB4 Daytona) is really stupid.

I cannot fit my (2) big German Sheperds with Bicycles in my 28,000 Mile Original Paint 246GTS Dino Spyder...

So what is the point of owning the car?
    Come on, I know you could get them all in there,your just not trying hard enough....
    S Registry#2021

Why the big crowd around the FF? I've seen dozens of them. Never seen a TR though. BTW, I think the FF looks better than the Panamera. (In the interest of full disclosure I am saving up for a Z3 coupe as a daily driver )
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425