Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CoA question: Was Porsche side script available in green?

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    You will also need some different mounting brackets and a longer filler hose. In fact if your car ever had the plastic tank there should be captive nut plates pop riveted in already, which are NOT used for the steel tank.
    Thanks for pointing out the difference in the mounting brackets - I did not notice that in PET at first.

I assume the riveted bracket you are referring to is this one:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for....00-85ltr-tank

Where is this riveted? I will stop by the garage where the car is tomorrow and look to see if the bracket is still there.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Where is this riveted? I will stop by the garage where the car is tomorrow and look to see if the bracket is still there.
    I found some photos showing the two locations where the brackets are riveted (approx 10 & 2 O'Clock). I checked some photos I had of my '73 and the holes are there in the sheet metal, but I don't see the brackets. Hmmm, would these need to have been removed if a steel tank was installed at some point?
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

No they wouldn't need to be removed, but I think I've seen those holes in other 73 cars, like maybe they were prepunched in case they were needed. If your car had had the 85 liter tank in the past there will also be hole in the front pan for the front mount bolt. I don't think that one would have been pre-punched, but only drilled as needed.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    No they wouldn't need to be removed, but I think I've seen those holes in other 73 cars, like maybe they were prepunched in case they were needed. If your car had had the 85 liter tank in the past there will also be hole in the front pan for the front mount bolt. I don't think that one would have been pre-punched, but only drilled as needed.
    Ok, so I inspected the car today for signs of an 85L tank having been installed at some point, but I'm not finding any convincing evidence.

First, the two places where plates 911.201.313.00 would be riveted in show no signs of the plates ever being mounted there (see photo). I would think that if the plates were there at some point, but somebody removed them because they scavenged the tank (like they did the sport seats) and needed the associated mounting hardware, that I would then see signs of where the rivets were drilled out, but that area looks clean. I'll check the bottom at some point to see if there is an outline of the plate.

Second, in the front center, I only see the one hole with captive nut where the standard bracket mounts. No second hole for C clamp 911.201.037.00 to hold down the nose of the plastic tank (see second photo). If somebody has a photo of this front clamp in place that they could post, that would great. I could not find a photo of it installed so I can only approximate where it would be located when installed based on the corresponding groove in the tank I see in pictures.

So now I'm puzzled. Did the RoW '73 Ts with option M470 have the 85L tank or not? I may post this question over on Pelican as well. The more data the better.

Thanks,
    Frank

Plate attachment area (below VIN)
    Name:  IMG_2623-001.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  105.7 KB

Front tank mounting area:
    Name:  IMG_2624-001.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  138.3 KB
    Last edited by frankc; 04-16-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

For future reference and "searching" I would love to see the gas tank discussion and deco discussion be separated out in different threads - is that possible ?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser