Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CoA question: Was Porsche side script available in green?

Frank, did you get those part numbers from a period parts book?? Never heard of a 85 L steel tank??
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Frank, did you get those part numbers from a period parts book?? Never heard of a 85 L steel tank??
    Ed,
    Thanks for giving me a reason to go back and do some more fact checking. I was basing my post on results of images and sites when I searched for info on 911 85 litre fuel tanks. Some images were of steel tanks, and others of plastic. I realize now that the steel tanks I saw are probably the Dansk reproduction 85L tanks.

I only have the standard PET parts catalog for the B-F series that shows the 911.201.010.00 number for the 85L tank in '73. I found the 911.201.010.13 listed as a plastic tank in several places (e.g.; Sierra Madre), but they don't state if the 911.201.010.00 is steel or plastic, hence I assumed it was steel based on the images I saw.

So what is the difference between 911.201.010.00 and 911.201.010.13?

I will go back and edit my previous post to avoid any mis-information. Now I have to decide whether it's worth it to source an (expensive) plastic 85L tank, or go with a std 62L tank...

Thanks again for keeping me honest.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

If you do any long trip driving get the 85 liter !! You will love not needing to get gas for at least 350 miles instead of the usual 230 or so!! Even though my bladder doesn't always last that long it's nice for the car to have that range,,,,especially in the middle of the night when nothing is open!!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    If you do any long trip driving get the 85 liter !! You will love not needing to get gas for at least 350 miles instead of the usual 230 or so!! Even though my bladder doesn't always last that long it's nice for the car to have that range,,,,especially in the middle of the night when nothing is open!!
    Good point Ed. I'll start budgeting for the 85L tank, but I would like to get some confirmation that RoW '73 Ts w/Comfort Equip option actually did get the larger tank. Perhaps I'll post that question to a larger audience.

Is there much weight difference between the 85L plastic and 62L steel tanks? And is there too much risk (i.e.; leaks) with purchasing a used plastic tank?
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    I would like to get some confirmation that RoW '73 Ts w/Comfort Equip option actually did get the larger tank.
    Yes, 1973 911T RoW did. But you didnt need a Comfort Equip option (also known as Appearance Group), it was an individual option.

It was option No. 424 for 85lt Tank and "Notrad" (folded spare wheel) and was priced at DeutschMark DM 380.-
    On 1973 911E and 911S RoW, the 85lt tank was standard.

Source: 1973 Pricelist 1010.11 Edition 3 / issued on August 1st 1972 , VW-Porsche (RoW-German market)
    Registry member No.773

Pardon my poor PS skills, but perhaps something like this...

Attachment 288077
    Nice!.......
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Here are two cars, one I posted myself on the "Paint to sample" thread.

They do have special colored P O R S C H E side script -first time documented in a period photo- although they are 1974 models.
    As you note, the color of the wheels is both time identical to the script color, as also on the 1973 RS with its C A R R E R A script.
    I now start to think it might be possible someone could special order them green in 1973…

911 2.7 Carrera
    IAA Frankfurt show September 1973

911 Turbo prototyp.
    Paris Show October 1973
    Last edited by 911T1971; 04-15-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Yes, 1973 911T RoW did. But you didnt need a Comfort Equip option (also known as Appearance Group), it was an individual option.

It was option No. 424 for 85lt Tank and "Notrad" (folded spare wheel) and was priced at DeutschMark DM 380.-
    On 1973 911E and 911S RoW, the 85lt tank was standard.

Source: 1973 Pricelist 1010.11 Edition 3 / issued on August 1st 1972 , VW-Porsche (RoW-German market)
    Thanks Karim - good information.

So just to be clear, there are then two ways that a RoW '73 T could be fitted with the 85L fuel tank:

- As part of option M470 (Comfort Equip)
    - M424 (85L tank)

Correct?

And is the "folded spare wheel" the same as the steel spare wheel & collapsible tire used in the G Series? If so, at least I already have one of those from my '77.

So now, in addition to some expensive sport seats, I guess I'll be looking for a plastic 85L fuel tank .
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    They do have special colored P O R S C H E side script -first time documented in a period photo- although they are 1974 models.
    As you note, the color of the wheels is both time identical to the script color, as also on the 1973 RS with its C A R R E R A script.
    I now start to think it might be possible someone could special order them green in 1973…
    Ah, the plot thickens...
    Thanks for posting the picture of the '74 - that certainly does add credibility to the possibility of green script on my car.
    Not too many parts came with the car (chassis, really), but I did receive one ATS wheel that supposedly is original to the car, and it is not painted green (thankfully).
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Good point Ed. I'll start budgeting for the 85L tank, but I would like to get some confirmation that RoW '73 Ts w/Comfort Equip option actually did get the larger tank. Perhaps I'll post that question to a larger audience.

Is there much weight difference between the 85L plastic and 62L steel tanks? And is there too much risk (i.e.; leaks) with purchasing a used plastic tank?
    The plastic tan is considerably lighter. If the bottom looks intact you should be okay, however the plastic tank has more bottom bulge, so if your car is lower than stock I'd recommend (as I did) to get a skid plate for under the tank. You will also need some different mounting brackets and a longer filler hose. In fact if your car ever had the plastic tank there should be captive nut plates pop riveted in already, which are NOT used for the steel tank.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.