Thread: Take the time to learn before you buy...

Take the time to learn before you buy...

A long time ago, I made a dumb purchase. I had the bug for an early big block Chevy SS El Camino (a '72, to be precise). I saw one at the Pomona Swap Meet and missed purchasing it because I could not come up with an extra $400. It was perfect. Because I missed the sale, I HAD to get the next one I found. I ended up over-paying because I had not researched it properly (it had loads of rust). When I finally sold it, I was happy that I didn't lose too much money on it.

Fast forward to now and our early Porsche longhoods have become quite desireable. With this, the value of related parts have also gone up. Restoration can be a lot of fun and so can the search for elusive parts. That being said, you need to invest the time to learn about what you're buying (no different from any other instance when you spend your hard-earned money).

There are a lot of resources on this site to help you on your journey. Review the site and learn from its history. Ask questions on the board or PM those who have exhibited expertise. I have found that this community is quite supportive of newcomers and oldtimers alike. We all hope to provide our members an enjoyable time with these wonderful old cars. Hope this is helpful to the newcomers...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

As an aside to Peter's comments (thank you for the sticky).....

Please take close note on the toolkits that are being offered. MOST of the kits have something or many or even most things incorrect in them. Do a search on kits that takes you back prior to 2008, as there are some great threads from prior to that time that include great pictures and correct tools and details. I don't have the time to make my comments on all the offerings.... but please do your "due diligence". No, I don't have any tools or kits for sale,... I don't do that. However I have collected them for 20+ years and I along with several veterans on this board have commented on toolkits and offerings in the long past.

regards,
    Eric

Equally as important is to take time to learn before you sell, there are two sides to the buy and sell game that we early Porsche enthusiasts are on and this stuff is changing faster than someone who is a casual observer can keep up with, like me and maybe a few others.
    Ask questions and do research before you sell those dusty items in your garage!
    Tucson AZ.

Some other threads . . .

Original cars . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-original-cars

What to look for . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...o-You-Look-For

We Can Be Heroes