Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noticeable Rolling Resistance

Noticeable Rolling Resistance

My car ('73 S in case it matters) gets driven very little. I take it out every few months for a drive around the neighborhood just to keep everything moving. When I took it out last weekend I noticed a lot of rolling resistance - when I push in the clutch and let it coast it decelerates much more quickly than it should.

It has new tires that are properly inflated, but otherwise it's original including the brake discs and pads. I know the pads are due for replacement (and I've already ordered some), but I'm wondering what else I should check on the car. Are there things I can inspect myself that would show obvious wear or damage?

For what it's worth, this isn't a neglected car. It's in very good condition and has been regularly serviced. It's not rusty or falling apart or anything. I can certainly take it to a professional, but I want to learn how to fix issues myself, hence the desire to at least diagnose the problem at home.

member #1515
    Could be several things related to brakes:
    sticking calipers old brake lines not letting the brake disengage fully.
    if you left your emergency brake on, it could also be sticking.
    Take it for a nice long drive and get brakes and everything up to operating temperature.
    An occasional drive around the neighborhood is not enough.
    What chassis # is yours?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I would jack it up and spin the tires individually to see if they drag more than you would expect.

I had a problem with a sticking brake caliper- I finally figured out the spring clip was bad. Sometimes the problems are really simple.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Could be several things related to brakes:
    sticking calipers old brake lines not letting the brake disengage fully.
    if you left your emergency brake on, it could also be sticking.
    Take it for a nice long drive and get brakes and everything up to operating temperature.
    An occasional drive around the neighborhood is not enough.
    What chassis # is yours?
    Thanks - I will definitely check that out.

My car is 9113310787. I know I should drive it more, but I'm low on time (two young kids) and I'm nervous now that values have shot up so much. It was my dad's car, he bought it new, it only has 43K miles on it, and I would never forgive myself if I got in an accident. That said, I'm trying to make more time this spring/summer.

Quote Originally Posted by csbush View Post
    I would jack it up and spin the tires individually to see if they drag more than you would expect.

I had a problem with a sticking brake caliper- I finally figured out the spring clip was bad. Sometimes the problems are really simple.
    Good point - that should help narrow it down quite a bit. I should start with the simple stuff

I have the same issue with my car. I don't drive it as much as I would like (same issue w/family, work, etc. etc.). My culprit is a right rear brake sticking. I have to get it dealt with, but it sounds like the same issue.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by bbulkley View Post
    My car ('73 S in case it matters) gets driven very little. I take it out every few months for a drive around the neighborhood just to keep everything moving. When I took it out last weekend I noticed a lot of rolling resistance - when I push in the clutch and let it coast it decelerates much more quickly than it should.

It has new tires that are properly inflated, but otherwise it's original including the brake discs and pads. I know the pads are due for replacement (and I've already ordered some), but I'm wondering what else I should check on the car. Are there things I can inspect myself that would show obvious wear or damage?

For what it's worth, this isn't a neglected car. It's in very good condition and has been regularly serviced. It's not rusty or falling apart or anything. I can certainly take it to a professional, but I want to learn how to fix issues myself, hence the desire to at least diagnose the problem at home.
    Most of the time it is just a bad brake hose. Replace the rubber hoses (or at least the hose to the offending caliper) and your problem will be solved. It takes a few minutes and a few drops of brake fluid. If it doesn't solve your problem, you have a sticking caliper(not likely, though). If that is the case you should have replaced the hoses anyway.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Most of the time it is just a bad brake hose. Replace the rubber hoses (or at least the hose to the offending caliper) and your problem will be solved. It takes a few minutes and a few drops of brake fluid. If it doesn't solve your problem, you have a sticking caliper(not likely, though). If that is the case you should have replaced the hoses anyway.

Regards

Jim
    Ok - beginner question here; I understand how braking systems work but I've never worked with them myself. Would I just visually inspect the hoses for cracks, etc? If I'm replacing them I assume I need to be careful with the brake fluid so it doesn't spill - do I bleed the system somewhere first? Is there a guide on doing this kind of work?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

member #1515
    "I know I should drive it more, but I'm low on time (two young kids) and I'm nervous now that values have shot up so much. It was my dad's car, he bought it new, it only has 43K miles on it, and I would never forgive myself if I got in an accident. That said, I'm trying to make more time this spring/summer."

There is quite a bit of that going around. How about a picture, yours is probably a few days older than mine.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

All of the hoses should look just fine from the outside. They swell up on the inside just like arteries and restrict flow. Don't take this personally, but your questions lead me to believe that you would be better served and safer by enlisting a professional or an experienced friend to help you. It is much better to admit your level of ability than charge into a job that is over your head. Replacing the flex hoses is a very basic job and easily handled by a person with modest experience. Yes, you will need to bleed the system after replacing the hoses.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post

Regards

Jim
    +1 on hose replacement. Had the same problem on an old Alfa. Replaced the hoses, bled the brakes, problem solved.
    Alex in Virginia

Looking for:
    ward to driving my car!

Early 911S Registry # 2863