Thread: Question for anyone using a CTEK or Porsche battery maintainer?

Miami, FL (previously Las Vegas, NV & Macau, China)

Question Question for anyone using a CTEK or Porsche battery maintainer?

I just ordered one but since our early 911s have 2 batteries I had a question for those using the same device. Do you charge through the cigarette lighter socket or do you use the clamps to the battery terminals. If the latter, do you need to get 2 separate battery maintainers to clamp to the 2 separate batteries simultaneously? I just thought I would ask first before doing something wrong. Thank you much for your advice.

For reference, this is the device I am referring to:
    http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK Multi US 4.3
    Carlo M., Registry #1513
    1972 Porsche 911S Targa (Silver Metallic) [SOLD]
    1987 Porsche 930 (Silver Metallic)
    1998 Porsche 993 Carrera S (Vesuvio Metallic / Vesuvio Package)
    1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta (Rosso Corsa)
    A couple of Land / Range Rovers for daily use and baby transport
    My first car (at age 15 in 80s): 1983 Porsche 911SC (Guards Red with period gold BBS wheels)!

Quote Originally Posted by cpmayor View Post
    I just ordered one but since our early 911s have 2 batteries I had a question for those using the same device. Do you charge through the cigarette lighter socket or do you use the clamps to the battery terminals. If the latter, do you need to get 2 separate battery maintainers to clamp to the 2 separate batteries simultaneously? I just thought I would ask first before doing something wrong. Thank you much for your advice.

For reference, this is the device I am referring to:
    http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK Multi US 4.3
    You just need to connect to one of the 2 batteries. I have experience with CTEK and Genius www.genuischargers.com chargers/maintainers. Both work well but I prefer the Genius because it charges and maintains both 6 and 12V. I use the model 3500 a lot. You can buy it from Woodies Customs

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    You just need to connect to one of the 2 batteries. I have experience with CTEK and Genius www.genuischargers.com chargers/maintainers. Both work well but I prefer the Genius because it charges and maintains both 6 and 12V. I use the model 3500 a lot. You can buy it from Woodies Customs

Regards

Jim
    Thanks for your reply. So if I connect the CTEK directly to one of the batteries terminals, it will charge both batteries? Or do you mean I connect to one, let it charge, then connect to the other? I just went ahead and ordered a Genius 3500 from Amazon so will try that one too (goal is to get 3 of something that works well always charging the cars so I don't get any more dead batteries!).
    Carlo M., Registry #1513
    My first car (at age 15 in 80s): 1983 Porsche 911SC (Guards Red with period gold BBS wheels)!

It will charge and maintain both batteries at the same time.

Ciao

Jim

No need to switch the charger. Attach to one battery; that will charge both batteries.

I got both chargers and tried them. I really like the Noco Genius G3500 charger (cables are nicer) but I am going to have to send it back and go with 3 of the CTEK MUS 4.3 chargers instead because the Noco Genius is only rated for ambient temperatures between 0C to +40C (up to about 104F) while the CTEK is listed up to 122F. I live in Las Vegas, NV and it regularly gets above 100F in the garage during the Summer. I chatted with a Noco agent who told me if the charger is just maintaining the battery above their 104F rating it should be fine. However, if I am out on vacation I think it would be safer and I would worry less with more headroom. I only have 12 volt batteries in my cars so the loss of the 6 volt functionality of the Noco isn't an issue for me. Thanks again for your help.
    Carlo M., Registry #1513

Question for anyone using a CTEK battery maintainer...

This is very interesting follow-up(for me) after almost 6 years of continuous 24/7-use of CTEK in my cars....(see post #5 from 3years ago)

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=CTEK

I had no idea that they(CTEK) made so many variations of "the same thing"...mine are the basic versions and have been great for cont. duty ~6years now... like Jim and reed says:..I just hook'em up to one of the two batteries...Good Luck.../ Lars...
    Last edited by larwik; 04-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314