Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your dog...

[QUOTE=LongRanger;1014901]I know that bred dogs have their attraction, but . . .

. . . I get mine from the pound . . . = temperament first

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post728282

I am also a massive fan of rescue dogs but there is no way I would put one of those metal spike collars anywhere near one of my dogs......
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Pincher Collars

Quote Originally Posted by CamBiscuit View Post
    . . . also a massive fan of rescue dogs but there is no way I would put one of those metal spike collars anywhere near one of my dogs......: . . .
    Those 're called 'pincher collars' and they look WAY worse than they actually are . . . + not exactly cheap, either

We'd never had a 'pack' of dogs before, and, since all of these Jokers showed-up within about a year of each other, I was absolutely determined to get the basics of canine conduct established toute suite. . . so I prolly went just a liiiiiiitle overboard, here. And yeah-yeah, these may look kinda nasty --- but pinchers don't leave so much as a mark, much-less injure the animal . . . and/besides --- I would never pull on them (or any leash) hard enough to hurt

That's just not what these --- or any collar . . . are for. These 're used as 'attention getters' --- NEVER 'pain-inflicters'

Besides . . . I'm a positive re-enforcement-kinda Guy, anyway

What I can say is that, all it ever took was just one little tug . . .

. . . = everybody got with the program . . .

. . . = Papa 1st + Everybody Else Echelon Left

Using pinchers is just another way of getting results --- specifically communicating, really . . . which is all we were after

And these were only used for a few months, anyway. After that, w/basic leash etiquette established, everybody got regular steel 'chokers' . . . and after that, we went to simple nylon rope ones. My Porty doesn't even need a leash, anymore; I only put one on him 'cause some people get a little anxious seeing him running 'round without

(I'd like to think he's so well-mannered because we got the whole 'leash thing' established from Day One --- meaning his good behavior doesn't require a leash . . . as long we're clear/consistent as to what's expected of him)

Anyway, the whole idea was to get everybody used to calmly/politely follow whoever's holding their leash --- wherever they may go. . . instead of bouncing-around, pulling, darting, dragging anyone unfortunate enough to be stuck holding onto 'em

I can't tell you how many people I see getting 'sled-dogged' down the street by their so-called pet. So when we're talking about dealing with our 150 lbs of dogs? . . . that's SO not happening

I mean --- take another good-close look at the Knuckleheads in that pic . . . = what do you think is going on here? Or, more tellingly, perhaps . . . .

. . . what's NOT?

NOT bouncing-around, NOT chewing on each other, NOT running-around like a bunch o' idiots, doing whatever they please. (That shyte goes on when the leashes come off . . . = usually inside the house!)

Instead, what you're looking at are a bunch o' civil/well-mannered/under-control dogs, all quietly sitting side-by-side --- butts down, no physical force/restraint imposed/required, everybody all chill + ho-hum . . .

. . . waiting for Papa . . .

. . . + ready for 'patrol'

Because, when it comes to dogs? --- after temperament? . . . the only other quality that I attach any value to? . . . is behavior

Because --- in case it isn't obvious from this pic . . . .

. . . I have absolutely zero-tolerance for any poor-behaving/bad-mannered/undisciplined/rowdy/un-trained canine that crosses my path

Put it Another Way . . .

. . . the Alpha in this Pack?

. . . isn't in the picture

(He's taking it)

Last edited by LongRanger; 05-04-2019 at 11:07 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Ive been fortunate enough to bring my pooches to work everyday. Co-workers love it, and so do the dogs. Win win!

Karmann.jpg
    Buddy-1.jpg
    Buddy-2.jpg

Very cool Alex....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Not mine... Seen at the Galpin car show this past Sunday
    DSC04030.jpg
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Holly, another Porsche riding Tibetarian Terrier, in the strong Baltic Sea autumn breeze

IMG_9402.jpgIMG_9394.jpg
    LOOKING FOR SERVICE BOOK No 2361
    1968 Karmann Coupe 2.0 tangerine
    1993 Ducati 750 SS

Peter, Holly looks 'cool'. How old is she, and I must say she has amazing colours .

Fred is now 11 months and is a total character. He will sit for hours just keeping an eye on the property which is what they did for the Tibetan Monks for over 2000 years.

IMG_2416.jpg

Zach is nearly 12 years old and is getting old so we got Fred to keep him company and it has changed his outlook on retirement.

IMG_2355.jpg
    Interesting points are...
    They were never able to be purchased and were only given as a gift by the monks.

They are NOT a Terrier but were classified as one by the British.

They are one of the oldest (if not the oldest) dog breeds.

They love going on 'road trips'
    Mark

Here are my pups. Daisy is a black lab/husky mix and Napoleon is a yellow lab. Daisy is 16 months and Napoleon is 11 months. They love going for drives. C8F42531-239C-4548-A43D-62E8A279C0F9.jpg
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Peter, Holly looks 'cool'. How old is she, and I must say she has amazing colours .

Fred is now 11 months and is a total character. He will sit for hours just keeping an eye on the property which is what they did for the Tibetan Monks for over 2000 years.

IMG_2416.jpg

Zach is nearly 12 years old and is getting old so we got Fred to keep him company and it has changed his outlook on retirement.

IMG_2355.jpg
    Interesting points are...
    They were never able to be purchased and were only given as a gift by the monks.

They are NOT a Terrier but were classified as one by the British.

They are one of the oldest (if not the oldest) dog breeds.

They love going on 'road trips'
    Thanks Mark. Holly is 5 years now. She used to be black as a puppy, but now is greyish, with white feet. She does exactly what you describe Fred is doing. Great family dogs, and yes they love road trips!

IMG_9431.jpg
    LOOKING FOR SERVICE BOOK No 2361
    1968 Karmann Coupe 2.0 tangerine
    1993 Ducati 750 SS

Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway