Thread: SWB Front End Rebuild

SWB Front End Rebuild

Hi All

In the process of building my 68L up to historic race spec I thought I might document my front end resto/rebuild and highlight some anomalies I've found...

I haven't really documented the strip down... Suffice to say that pulling down untouched 45 year old suspension requires some heat and effort

Anyway, today I began media blasting (garnet) my components. I have a little bit of Koni Orange left over from my last resto, so I started with the front Koni struts. After I finished prepping the struts I found issue #1 1x Koni Porsche and 1x Boge front struts... Somehow they are mismatched and a previous owner has even gone to the trouble of installing correct mismatched Koni cartridges Not sure what to do now. I am considering the Ohlins cartridges now available for SWB Porsches, but will have to either find another Koni or Boge SWB strut housing or repeat the inconsistent odd replacement cartridge exercise. Why odd you ask? Well although physically very similar, the Koni is slightly larger in diameter and the top thread is finer pitched. I note on early cartridges the gland nut is integral to the cartridge, so I have to deliberately order two different cartridges.

Photos should explain. Anyone else dealt with this?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

In all likelihood a damaged strut was replaced. I would recommend get a replacement match for whichever strut you prefer. Having mismatched struts and inserts is likely to adversely affect your handling.