Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early 15x7 and 15x8 inch Fuchs - ID help please.

Early 15x7 and 15x8 inch Fuchs - ID help please.

a set of early 15x7 and 15x8 inch Fuchs.

some help would be appreciated in ID'ing these wheels. I won't have them in my hands for a week so I can't check date codes, but the part numbers seem right. the seven inch is missing the '9' in the part number but I seem to remember seeing this in the past.

any thoughts? Don.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by haycait911; 05-03-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Name:  Fuchs1288792667.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  116.4 KB

for some guidance and I think the late wheels have an 023 reference where the early ones have 020.
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Those are early 7&8X15 as you said. The part (forging) numbers are 911 361 020 01 and 911 361 020 02.
    Some times the whole number doesn't come through or the person setting the plates doesn't get it right.
    The same mold was used for all the 911 series wheels so they had to change the numbers when making a different size.
    Also some of the very early wheels didn't even have the correct plates made yet (some race wheels never did) so some of the numbers were hand stamped.
    I have seen those wheels dated from 1/71 to 7/73. So they should be in that range. With the rough spokes (aka RSR style) they were ordered by the race dept and before they were used by the production dept on the 73 RSs.
    The stem supports are not original.
    Hope this helps.
    BTW, that list has only some of the numbers made.
    H

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    The top one reads 5 72 I think. Good catch and the early 8J x15 are getting pretty rare. If you decide to sell let me know.

BR, Cees

Hi, I will also have a customer in the UK if you want to sell. I have a few sets which are as Harvey states are very early one at 1 and 3 1971. The set you have are perfect for a 73 RS.

Thanks

Alan

thanks for weighing in Harvey. I was hoping you would.

Cees, good eye. I was having trouble figuring out that date from the pic.

thanks Alan. I'll post the dates here when I pick them up.

well. pulled them out today and gave them a wash. the two sevens are dated 6/72 and the eights are dates 2/71 and 3/71. overall very nice. no serious issues and very cool tires. Dunlop Sport Super D4.

a couple of questions for the collective.

1. were these ever used on a production car? or just sold from dealer stock.

2. is the finish on the eights right? the sevens look like normal anodizing. the eights have a smooth anodized lip but the petals and the inners have a kind of scratched finish. but it seems to have anodizing over it. is this the 'rough spoke' finish you referred to Harvey?
    Last edited by haycait911; 05-25-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haycait911 View Post

1. were these ever used on a production car? or just sold from dealer stock.

2. is the finish on the eights right? the sevens look like normal anodizing. the eights have a smooth anodized lip but the petals and the inners have a kind of scratched finish. but it seems to have anodizing over it. is this the 'rough spoke' finish you referred to Harvey?
    The 7s were available to the dealer as a production part in 72. There was a big order of 7s starting in 6/72 for the upcoming 73RSs.
    The 8s were from the race dept and not available to the dealers as a production part until 73.5 and then with the production finish. The race or rough "RSR" finish as I like to call it wasn't available to the production dept. These wheel were most likely taken off of a 73RS.It was very popular to get the car and then order race 8s for the rear.....
    Or if found in the USA, they could have been special ordered for a hot rod from a dealer that imported race parts (as I did).
    (Similar to the early SCs with 16")
    You can tell when a wheel was taken over by the production dept because it is finished-not left rough as the race dept did.
    HTH
    H

thanks all for the input. and the offers were appreciated. after much research I've posted them for sale. thanks, Don.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...d=1#post735062

I Have 4 7J15 99136102001 Jan71 in my 911t 1970... why??? stock 4 7J15??? Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  123.7 KBName:  photo(1).JPG
Views: 184
Size:  98.2 KBName:  photo(2).JPG
Views: 180
Size:  107.8 KB