Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The rarest version of the Carrera RS?

Thought you might like to see my car #1446

I brought this car over from England, it's a GP white with Red Lettering(Matching numbers) and I believe it was sold in 73 to be used as a racing car, spent most of its life on the circuits until being restored in 1994 by an English restoration company.
    As a later production car it has the shorter RSR style rear arms which give it greater camber adjustment on the rear, is now fitted with Recaro sports seats it was originally supplied as just a Plain Jane with no options whatsoever according to the Konrad book.
    Its currently having an engine rebuild and will then be sold as I am buying an Historic racing car, but I'm also searching for a 996 Turbo or better still a GT2, so if there is anyone out there looking for a swap, deal, trade, barter etc.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Anouska's Daddy 1995-2005 Now and Forevermore

Thanks for the picture, and welcome to the board!

details of RS 1382

I've posted some detail shots of 1382 at,
    http://www.pbase.com/911r/9113601382
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

nice pics !

hello Ernie !
    nice pics of RS détail !
    do you know how much RS is sold with black graphics ?
    my replica is white with black scrip too !
    Thanks
    Raynald
    1973 RS Réplique
    http://pages.globetrotter.net/rayfec/

Ernie,

Thanks for sharing the detail photos of #1382. Your site just keeps getting better and better.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

RSH Ramblings.....

Being relatively new to this Board I am continuously amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience that can be found here. As I was going through old posts I came across this one and thought I could contribute so here goes.

I owned RSH #1382 for about ten years. It is the car Ernie posted photos of at the 1995 Portland Parade. It was one of the very few RS’s that came into the country relatively new via Ben Pon who sold it to Vasek Polak. I am told that Polak imported it as a race car. Other than John Paul Sr. and Jr. autocrossing it a couple times it was never raced. About a year later I purchased Lightweight #1079. With the two cars sitting side by side there
    were obvious differences. #1079 carried an M471 Conversion Order and nothing else. The car also had full undercoating and sound deadening boards in the doors. #1382 had no M471 and no undercoating anywhere, just painted metal. I started asking questions and was amazed that no one could give me an answer. Remember, this was the mid-1980's and there was very little published information on these cars and much of what had been published was wrong. I started bugging Olaf Lang. At first he blew me off with the usual form letters but when I started documenting all these differences he knew I was serious. After several months I received a three page letter from him. It was obvious he had done a lot of research by its content. He spelled out the entire homologation process that we all now know through the Gruber/Konradsheim RS book.

I can attest that #1382 was delivered as homologated with one qualifier. I can not say with certainty which size wheel/tire combination the car was built. With regard to the question, “Why were RSH cars built after the initial 500", I have a couple of thoughts and maybe a question from board members. If you look at the FIA Homologation Papers you will notice that when Porsche homologated something on the RS, there was a corresponding RSH car built. It might not be exactly to the day but it was close. RSH #508, which I know intimately, was delivered with 7 and 8 inch rims which coincided with 7 and 8 inch rims being homologated the same month. RSH #1382 has an aluminium case which coincides with the aluminum case being homologated the same month, and so on. Does anyone know with certainty if my theory is correct?

The question of there being 16 or 17 RSH cars? I can’t say for certain but it appears that chassis #16 might be the answer. There is some reason Porsche’s records can not give it an identity. Ron Finger used to own this car and I think it has been mentioned before on this board. I spoke often with Georg Konradsheim regarding the RSH cars while he was writing the book and it seems we discussed it but I just can’t remember if there was an answer to the question. Anyone?

Well, there’s my two cents on the subject.

MarkH, did you happen to buy #1079 from a guy then in the USAF named Roger? If so, I suspect I drove that car before you did...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for rambling on this old thread. Your comments should provoke some interesting discussion.

This is the first time I have heard that the RSH cars made after the Group 3 qualifiying process was completed, (that is why 1000 cars were homologated instead of just 500) were constructed with no undercoating and were possibly made to homologate changes in the RS. It is really cool to know that #1382 has an AL engine case.

If you would like to contact Dr. K again for clarification he can be reached through his website at http://www.konradsheim.at/ I can send you his email address once I get home. Thanks again for the info.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

RSH Aluminum Case

Yes, I purchased #1079 from Roger Kruckberg.
    Brians remark about AL cases brought up another interesting story.

#1382 has motor number 6331355. As many of you know, that is a 911S
    number. The factory will tell you the motor number for #1382 is 6631355
    which is verified in the RS book. The confusion was two-fold;
    #1) #1382 has the above mentioned number but is stamped very clearly with a
    911/83 type number. How does an RS case get stamped with a 911S serial number?
    #2) Was the case mis-stamped? That seemed unlikely because
    the only mis-stamped number gives the motor a different identity.
    I asked Olaf Lang about it and he concurred that it was the latter,
    saying it was not that uncommon that a number was mis-stamped.
    I reluctantly accepted this answer.

About six months later I was re-reading the FIA Homologation papers for the
    RS and came across something that I had, for years, totally missed. On May
    5th, 1973 Porsche homologated the AL case and stipulated that the
    case numbers be prefixed with 633. I finally had a difinitive answer to
    the question. So why does the factory not list this in their records? I think
    it might go back to my previous post about the RSH cars. I believe Porsche
    had to present this new case bearing this numbering sequence to the FIA for
    verification. They did it using an RSH chassis. It is the only thing that
    makes sense because I have never seen or heard of another RS with a 633 prefix.
    Again, I welcome comments.

Hey Mark,

That is some juicy info about the '633' aluminum case.

Do you have any photos of the engine stamping? If not do you know the current owner? I sure would like to have a photo of that for my data base. I just looked at Ernie's photos again and he doesn't show that unfortunately. He does show the painted metal without undercoating though. I must have missed that the first time around. Thanks again.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299