Tom,

Sounds good, cause its all good. Mine was also dealer installed, but when you pull the unit out of the smugglers box, you'll notice its a VW part (at least mine was). I'm with Jared though. If its in, it blows cold,and you'll actually use it (which it sounds like you will), then charge it and keep it. I've also heard the newer units are a major improvement over those early 70's jobs (probably from Jared come to think of it). Also, I agree. This is a cool bboard and a really good bunch of people (except one - 'he who shall not be named' - whose not bad but really annoying is all).

Jared - First, I live in the burbs, so no streets of SF aireal stunts in the S car. My commute is 2.5miles w/no freeways involved. This is why I wanted to build from scratch vs buy a 'nice' car with unknown issues. I wanted a 30 year old "new" car. Hope you don't hold it against me. Also, it allows me to rib you about your Garage Queen (as soon as mine get's out of the garage, that is). Lastly, the car only has 89,000 miles on it. So factor 12K/year into 30 years, the car should be somewhere around 360,000 (give or take 100K or so). I figure, Dr. P would be happy to know I was driving the snot out of. Its barely hitting middle age. Anyway, I hope I'm right. If not, I'm man enough to tell you I couldn't hack it and need my AC, electric windows, and 6CD changer w/surround sound.

BTW, how's your Windshield search going? I was admiring my green tint Sekurit rear quarters today (still w/orig clear sticker on it from the factory), and was wishing the windshield was original too.