I have always considered this Board primarily a place where like-minded enthusiasts come to discuss their love of early 911s--any model--and help each other out. If some commerce gets done along the way that's fine too.

However, it's becoming increasingly difficult to overlook some "members" thinly veiled attempt to profit from their involvement on this Board. Again, money is not a bad thing, but when it's the primary motivation for someone's participation here, I think that needs to be disclosed in some way so that others know. I treat a merchant differently than an enthusiast. Not worse, just different.

What has prompted me to post this are two recent for-sale ads by board member SyarMotorsport. In each, other members pointed out the cars' prior sales history. One was still being advertised on the PCA website and the other had been listed on Pelican in mid-November. Both cars were being offered by SyarMotorsportat at a $7,500 premium. Both ads/threads quickly disappeared upon this disclosure.

Now, I don't expect anyone to cut another board member a sweetheart deal, but did SyarMotorsport really think he was offering a service to us by picking cars off Pelican and PCA and flipping them over here a few weeks later with a hefty markup? I highly doubt it. It's not like he's scouring the countryside for hidden cars or using connections in the business to unearth his inventory. He cruising the same websites that we all are; he’s trying to make a quick buck.

A similar situation involving board member mycarrera2.7rs is going on over at Pelican and raises the same questions. Again, I think dealers advertising on this website are fine. I look forward to seeing what Paul-HB is offering. He gets interesting cars and I enjoy seeing them. I’d just like to know who the dealers are. Disappearing threads don’t help that situation.

With the increased traffic on this Board and the increased value of these cars, maybe it's time to set some rules for the marketplace forums. Let the dealers advertise, but let’s set clear rules that distinguish between the enthusiast who occasionally sells a personal car and a dealer who is moving his inventory. For example, someone who has advertised more than a couple of cars over a year period would most likely qualify as a commercial user in my book and should pay for his commercial use of this Board. And we users would all benefit by knowing who we are dealing with.

Sorry for the long rant, but I felt these sales tactics needed to be discussed and the Board needs to address them.