Hi all:

My first post here. I recently purchased a '66 911 and had it shipped here to the east coast from California. It's a nice rust free car, but a much more of a project than I expected. I'm a bit frustrated that the people I had do the PPI weren't totally up front about the issues the car has, but it's mine now. (Never fall in love with a pretty face!)

The engine in it is a 2.7L from a 1977. The main case stud is pulled and epoxied in place. Two cylinder heads are leaking pretty bad and causing low compression. In general, it runs like crap, backfiring, etc.

When discussing with my local shop, we talked about what it would take to do a rebuild, and it seems more economical (haha) to put in a 3.2 Carrera engine than to rebuild the 2.7....

Have any of you done such an upgrade with your SWB cars? What have been the pluses and minuses? Any ideas on cost would be appreciated, since I really don't know what to expect, or what would be fair for this type of job.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. I look forward to learning from all of you.

Seth