We just finished a road trip of Florida with our '64 Deluxe, during which it passed 254,000 miles. It's been in our care since '94 and never let us down. Coastal Florida hasn't been as kind as where it came from, Santa Cruz... and a few small rust spots have popped up in the past 6 months. So, while on our trip we decided it's time to finally give it a proper bare shell rejuvination. It deserves it!

Florida Road Trip 2013 004.jpg

I drive this thing every day, responsible for more than 120,000 miles on the clock. Touring 1,400 miles of old Florida during Labor Day week was genuinely pleasurable.

Florida Road Trip 2013 066.jpg

While I really enjoy the rudimentary transportation it IS, thoughts of modern brakes, 12 volt electrics and more power have been a temptation. This is an honest, original bus with original engine and drivetrain... after it's perfect, stock or not it will still be used daily. It isn't slow: the first owner had the transmission modified in 1964 for California I-5 commuting. It cruises at 65mph and keeps up fine in street traffic. Would any of you take the path I'm contemplating? Thoughts & opinions greatly appreciated. This is our forever car.

Florida Road Trip 2013 161.jpg

Many thanks in advance for your input!