Hi
I have been researching a 1967swt and have found some very interesting information. I have gotten lots of help but I felt that it was time to post a thread and see if anyone else has some input. If you would like to see the story of how my father and I found this car you can find it in the thread (what’s your story). I have been in touch with the factory and they have opened a case to do some research, but I have found in other threads that they will only confirm what you know. So I have been on a quest to find as much info as possible on my own through research and a lot of help from this board, reading old threads that keep knocking and appearing. The build sheet is the part of the information that is really needed.
The search started because as I dusted off the car and started looking, I started to see what I felt to be some significant anomalies, the car was registered in California as an S but it did not have S in the Vin. The Vin is #500100 it has many S features but there were also many missing, mostly missing were the cosmetic ones. The most interesting S feature was the engine. The engine is number 900054 which come to find out; it is the only known complete prototype to exist at this time. I have not pulled the engine to check the date code but the code on the oil sender is 4/66 which seems to point to the theory that these prototype engines may have been cast as needed and it adds credence to Dave’s theory that these engines 052,053,054 were probably not prototypes for the S engine but something else, Possibly the 68 cars? It is also type 901/02, this is the confirmed engine on the Kardex and the COA. One theory that I have come up with through my research is it may have been a prototype for the rally option that was offered on the 68 cars, as this thread progresses that will not sound so farfetched.
The Transmission is the other part of the story that I think may be interesting, its number is not confirmed on the Kardex or the coa, the only information that I can find on the transmission is the number 11, in the location that the transmission number should be and an early date code of mid 1965. Through my research I have watched many videos, the one that keeps coming to mind when I think about this transmission Is the interview with Mr Elford. He is talking about trying to convince Porsche to race in rally’s, the part of the Interview that I found interesting was his fascination with the five Speed gearbox and the many different gear ratios that could have been possible. I know still way out there?
The only option that is shown on the Kardex or the Coa is Kiebler Colombes tires, could have these been a slight off road tire with an aggressive tread, Has any one heard of these tires or seen them listed as an option?
Now here is the part that makes this seem not so farfetched. The cars completion Date was 12/66 it was sent to the VERSUCH department until it was sold internally to the first owner on 9/15/67, Think (BMW) and prior career as a machinist. I have been trying to locate this individual either by e-mail or mail, If anyone could forward a correspondence it would be great. I think he might be able to answer many Questions? It may have been just another Car. I have found Family contacts with racing history, and one with current Soap box derby history, I think they probably have a great Manager!, this leads me to believe it is probably the right family, but I don’t think this is the appropriate way to contact. Can you imagine every nut job from all over the world bugging your family because they found out that they have one of your old cars? I don’t think that this car was raced; I have only found 1 picture of a targa racing in a rally. But possibly Pre-running or testing for rally?
Some other questions that I have come up with is in the thread about the 69 Versuch car that Mike found in the UK, there was a list of Versuch cars, were these the only versuch cars? If so why have none of the other versuch cars from 67 appeared? Is there any location that there may be a body number not the vin hidden, in 69 it seems that the body number was put under the knee pad, but in prior years that was stamped with the vin. It also seems that there were instances that the vins were re-stamped; this could explain why none of the other 67s have shown up. It would not make any difference, any of the production videos that I have watched the craftsmanship was incredible; these cars would have gotten the same treatment.
I am attaching pictures any help or comments would be greatly appreciated, as I work my way through this. Ideally I would like to come up with a large PDF file or the build sheet. Thanks for all the help, the knowledge on this board is incredible and I will be joining soon!
Thanks Bret

Name:  car pictures 101.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  151.8 KBName:  car pictures 062.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  122.5 KBName:  car pictures 060.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  120.9 KBName:  car pictures 059.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  119.9 KBName:  car pictures 058.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  112.8 KB