Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 119200154

Mice LOVE 911 engines.

This morning was by far the most satisfying time on this project since we got it.
    With my son, we took the admission off. Not one stuck bolt, nothing broken. He is progressively getting a good feel for wrenching, with a steady hand.
    The alternator and fan got separated without damage, the fan is in very nice condition under the gunk.
    We also got the clutch disc unstuck, and it is *very* thick. The diaphragm has surface rust, I hope I can re-use it.

We got this far, and it is time for questions, mostly for the europeans aorund here:

-Are there good companies/people who can service/rebuild the MFI pump, the MFI stacks, the injectors and lines? I know there are good people in the USA, but if there are trustworthy people in the Vaterland, then why not.

-I know it has already been off the car, with the failed helicoil in the block, but shouldn't there be air deflecors on both cylinder banks?

-What is missing by the microswitch on the actuator arm?

Banned
    Kudos George. Wonderful memories you’re creating.
    (And yes; both banks should have baffles.)

Stuck clutches: I’ll never forget how my dad taught me to fix a stuck clutch disc 45+ years ago. (Back when cars “only” sat for 5-10 years and old gas was good enough to start the engine with.)
    Jack up the back of the car, sit in driver’s seat with clutch pedal in, and run the engine while in gear, then drop the jack suddenly so that both tires hit the concrete with a squeal.

I was always fascinated that it worked every time. I’m even more fascinated now that it never broke a mainshaft.

That's what I call a non cooling oil cooler. Those pesky mice.

Hi Frank, Hi Rick,
    It is a good feeling when one realises his son is getting into it.

Frank, what I did with stuck clutches was start in 1st on a deserted road, depress the clutch pedal and alternate on/off throttle. Had one car that would stuck the clutch every winter, never understood why.

Sweet oil cooler! the nest was more on the left side. Maybe it was their lavatory?

Everyday that I can do something for the car is a good day.
    I had (3) flat 6X15 wheels on the shelves, needed a 4th.
    Got one from a friend at a very good price, complete with NOS tire, but the wrong size. It will be good enough as a roller until time comes to buy good tires.

Question for today: What the heck is this bracket:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    This morning was by far the most satisfying time on this project since we got it.
    With my son, we took the admission off. Not one stuck bolt, nothing broken. He is progressively getting a good feel for wrenching, with a steady hand.

Good for you for including him! Very cool to see he's getting in to it! Hope my 3 year old has the same passion when he's a little older
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold

I believe that is a guide/retainer for the hose going to the gas tank vent.

Thanks Rick,
    I figured it must be a factory part, but could find *very* few pictures of cars, even 69s' with it. It will stay.
    Last edited by GeorgeK; 08-15-2019 at 11:51 PM.