Thread: Matching gearbox without serial?

Matching gearbox without serial?

Looks like the serial/type was grounded off. Are there any other details on the gearbox that would help confirm it to be a matching gearbox? Maybe a date code etc? Only other number I could pull off was a ‘12’

Name:  1A2114D0-4007-457B-A9B5-2CC81DA61544.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  F12FF0A2-8190-4687-B142-3D6D9447BDD6.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  62.0 KB

Maybe there is a casting date. Should read something like 33/66 in a circle. The thirty third week of 1966. but that's for a 901/02 67S trans. Not sure about 915. The casting date would obviously predate the build date of your car but if in the ballpark should give a nod to authenticity.
    Last edited by steve shea; 12-18-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

My shop & I assume the '12' circle is December. Car was built in February 1973. So that would make sense.

It was the only number we could find on the gearbox however, so making doubly sure I have a matching gearbox when I'm paying matching numbers kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by smiles11 View Post
    It was the only number we could find on the gearbox however, so making doubly sure I have a matching gearbox when I'm paying matching numbers kind of money.
    The "12" pictured is not a month code, as those numbers go beyond 12.
    There are normally casting date codes on the housing side cover, and on the guide fork plate.

Without a serial number, it cannot be a "matching numbers" transmission, meaning a serial number that matches a factory document or original sale material for the car.
    It can still be "period correct" or "possibly original to the car", unless it's also determined to not be period correct either.

It's a common issue with 915 transmissions, due to the placement of the stampings.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    The "12" pictured is not a month code, as those numbers go beyond 12.
    There are normally casting date codes on the housing side cover, and on the guide fork plate.

Without a serial number, it cannot be a "matching numbers" transmission, meaning a serial number that matches a factory document or original sale material for the car.
    It can still be "period correct" or "possibly original to the car", unless it's also determined to not be period correct either.

It's a common issue with 915 transmissions, due to the placement of the stampings.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    Thanks Jon. I forwarded this to my shop who has the car. They are going to send me pictures tomorrow of the housing side cover & guide fork.

Honestly, I wouldn’t have second guessed buying this car if the number was visible. I’ve been burnt once before buying a LH under the impression it was a numbers matching engine/transmission that turned out to be false.

If I can pull any dates that will align it with the 2/73 production of the car; I won’t sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by smiles11 View Post
    Thanks Jon. I forwarded this to my shop who has the car. They are going to send me pictures tomorrow of the housing side cover & guide fork.
    For reference, here are two current eBay sales with date codes shown...

A 915 housing side cover with a 73 date code (5th picture)... https://www.ebay.com/itm/363981030553
    A 915 guide fork plate with a 72 date code (last picture)... https://www.ebay.com/itm/164242497214

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thanks. I forwarded this info as well.

Thanks again Jon.

Turns out to be a 1974 box on this 73S. ��

Name:  B281B005-64EF-41B9-8E5C-CCEB4E82F469.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  792A46C5-F630-43F9-AC82-E28552DA8330.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  100.0 KB