Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show me your panel gaps(Early Targas prefered)

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    ArmorAll. Getting ready for Sonoma, ya know.
    I prefer WD40...prevents rust nicely
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...restoration complete!
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Hi Curt,

Could you please post some picks of your horn grill/signal housings fit within the fenders and their alignment with the hood. When I install mine I get a nice fit but the gap between the grill and the hood is pretty large. I my mind it should be 3mm like the hood-to-fender gaps but it is more like 5-6mm. If anything it seems like the grill is not shaped properly but I would like to confirm.

Thanks,

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

I'll get a photo later tonight. Never really looked at it before, but mine look about the same as what you're describing. The grill-hood gap is not even uniform - maybe 4mm at top and 6mm at bottom. Both horn grills fit slightly different. Maybe someone else can post photos as well so we can compare.

Bob,

It sure sounds like the body shop had some unreal expectations regarding fit and finish on these cars, doesn't it? Consider yourself vindicated.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

panel gaps

Bob,

I have a 70 and found that some of the reproduction horn grills are too narrow, causing the gap between the grill and the hood to be too wide. Correct grills will line up well with the fender edge.

Rob
    356Robo
    64 C Coupe #218448(sold)
    70T Targa #9110110416(sold)

Here's mine. These are original grills. I've also got cut-out fog grills and they line up about the same way. My hood could be aligned better then it is and that would reduce the gap somewhat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Curt,

This really helped me know what the gaps really were. I am pretty happy with how things game together. The body shop is really picky about this before I send it to them and I guess I apprechiate their high standards.

If if is all possible to take some better pics of the front turn signal housing and horn grill that would be great. The one that you posted may have gotten compressed alot by the server or something like that.

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.