Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repro Aluminum License Plate Panel

Panel weights

The steel panel is 5.3 lbs, the Aluminum panel is 1.8 lbs.

For heat transfer/avoidance you might try having the the exhaust "Jet Hot" coated. I believe the concept is: the ceramic keeps the heat in the passageway rather than letting it radiate.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

37yrold911 . . . thanks for your PM. Yes I figured the AL Panel would not help. In other words it would still trap heat from the muffler, but I was hoping at best it would transfer heat better than Steel. I also learned today that retarding the timing will only increase heat in the engine in the heads and exhaust (thanks to Jim from JB Racing) so the trick will be to advance the timing as much as possible to reduce heat. I'm sure I'll also have to play with the mixture of the carbs to get keep the motor from leaning out.

Bobs 67S . . . Yup Jet Hot coating is the ultimate solution, but I'm going to try the heatshield product first to see what measurable results I can get. Same theory just a different approach.

I really don't want to install an oil cooler because I'm trying to keep the car in it's stock form . . . just in case I ever decide to return it back to all original.

BTW, I never said what my car is now . . . 2.5 short stroke, dc60's, carrillo rods, mahle 10.3:1, 38/36 ports, gt3 pump, pmo 40's, all the neat ollie's case and crank work, twin-plugged . . . and with only an engine oil cooler it runs 220 degrees on the street. So I'm pretty happy with that number, but I know on the track it's going to get scary hot, unless I find a way to eliminate some of the sources of major heat in the engine. The good thing about advancing the timing is this motor should run just fine with all the timing I can give it (25-28 degrees). My only challenge right now will be to dial the carbs in with that timing setting. But what the heck . . . it sure is fun to play with this stuff.
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

Why not use an aluminum panel and punch the huge holes in it like the racers do? That should make a difference in heat values big time.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Ask Tony A2Z what to do, he will be at the German Autofest.

I think he had some good ideas...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Here is a factory Aluminum panel for sale: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=22619
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Sherwood Lee on Pelican makes some items that might help you.

You might want to change to a different muffler.

Coating the muffler is liable to cause it to rust out internally in a few months.

Hey Max . . . thanks I PM'd the guy regarding his Al. Panel. Yup, I see Tony knows how to keep his car running cool. Got my car running pretty good now. Whoever said PMO's are bolt-on ready to run . . . well let me just say I know more about PMO's now than I had planned on a few weeks ago. Hope all is going well with you.

Paul . . . yes I'm considering punching a few holes in a steel panel to vent the heat from the muffler. I've seen it done before and if it's done well it actually looks pretty neat.

37yrold911 . . . Does Sherwood Lee make the 'Heet Sheet' product? If so, PP has them listed as discontinued.

Tonight I cranked up the static timing to 25 degrees advanced. Took the car for a drive and it runs great . . . very responsive, but I sure do wish I had an LM-1 to see where the A/F ratio is at. Tomorrow I'll give it another run during the day-time heat and see if the operating temp is any lower.

Thanks to all for the advice . . . and for anyone that is interested I'll post my results as I work through this issue. Will probably start another thread with a more descriptive subject-line.
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

I've got one, not sure where it came from since I got it from a 912 board member, but I will confirm all of the above... It's a relatively poor fit in width and around the bumperettes, it's extremely soft and bendable and I would not want to bother painting it and watch the paint, but then again it is cheap. I had real "rear end piece" on the 912 that was louvered on each side (see pict below), nicely done but not my style... I bought this aluminum piece to replace that ! I ended up not using it for that at all, I will instead cut the aluminum piece and make it a heat shield that fits "inside" my RS rear bumper on my other car !

I still have the part I took off my car (louvered but real) if someone is desperate, but I thought you could still find those for <$100... Can't you ?

Greg D. . . . funny, my first thought was of a refrigerator when I looked at those louvers. Nice 912 you got there. I think for my purpose I'm going to drill some big holes in a Steel Panel and hope that does the trick.
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

Tom

First find a used panel. Straighten the small wrinkles as needed. Then have the holes punched and restraighten the now twisted panel once again. After that, paint and install. Shelf your original panel while you go about checking out just how cool you cars butt looks. And:

"...just in case I ever decide to return it back to all original." Yeah, right. Please continue to think that way. You will be laughing about that comment years from now. Trust me. The guys that hang out here have perfect original collectable cars or hot rods...the middle ground is wide valley.

Always carry a Fire bottle and rub your car like it is your lover. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399