Thread: Another SWB Front suspension question

Another SWB Front suspension question

Can anyone confirm the photo below shows the early (<68) SWB suspension detail for where the crossmember meets the Control Arm? ..... and hence that it requires the Porschetastic priced rear 'bearing sleeve' 901.341.421.03 retailing at £180 + VAT each ($290) here in the UK. !!!! (another lie down required)

Does anyone know of any aftermarket alternatives that are worth considering? I am told Superpro don't make a Polybush for this.

I have either binned the one that came out (I had to burn it out as I recall) which is unlike me as I have learnt to hang on to everything until the car is finished, or I have put it in that 'safe place' - and hence I do not have it to photograph.

Thanks
    Mick

Chuck Moreland at Elephant racing has a solution for the bushings-- which involves leaving the steel sleeve on the arm (if you look at the end you can see the concentric line where they meet) and re-bushing with another steel sleeve.

Certainly cheaper but remember that the rubber does not move against the metal-- all suspension travel is from the flexing of the rubber.

In the end I bit the bullet and spent the $$$, one set every 40 years should be about right.

See my previous work here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=bushing
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

After some further reading, looking, researching and talking to a local chap who responded to my similar question on DDK I find there is a company on the Continent (that would be Europe!) that makes a replacement for the fanblock part of this trio of cost and trouble that makes up the incredibly priced 'Bearing sleeve' 901.341.421.03. It seems the option is that you leave the sleeve on the control arm (having made sure the spacer 901.341.461.01 is free to rotate), and the thinner sleeve inside the crossmember, soap up the new fanblock, press it on the control arm ideally with an insert in the end of the control arm with a chamfered edge to ease it on, then press the arm into the crossmember, adjust the control arm angle before the soap disappears and you're done. Replacement fanblock 25€ including tax each ...... methinks it's worth a try before removing the sleeves given what 304065 went through!.

Off on holiday for 3 weeks (Europe, remember!) so I will report back on if it works in late August.

Mick