Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

Anticorodal silver spokes : very first Montecarlo steering wheel. about 64-65. The anticordal finishing is standard ( as you can see on Momo catalog)

Anticorodal Black spokes: 66-67. Very rare in this finishing .

Here you are the presentation page of the original (NOS) 1968 catalog ( thanks Mr. Moretti...). you can read how Anticorodal is light and strong.

it's Italian... everybody knows Dante's language, correct??!!

and.... from Italian Wikipedia :

"Anticorodal brand name for aluminum alloys 6000 series: the main alloying elements
    are silicon and magnesium. These alloys by heat treatment after heat treatment
    develop intermediate mechanical properties in general lower than those of alloys
    2000 and 7000 series.
    They have good formability, machinability, weldability and machinability. They are used for
    architectural applications, motorcycle and mountain bike frames, welded structures in general.
    This system is the main class of alloys for the spare hot-worked and for those
    derived from fusion. They can combine several favorable characteristics: good resistance
    mechanical, relatively low sensitivity to hardening, good resistance to corrosion.
    This is especially true for precipitation hardening of the compound Mg2Si. To obtain products
    Normally this alloy extruded Mg and Si are maintained below 1, 5% by weight. The
    Silicon, finally, increases the fluidity of the melt and reduces the coefficient of expansion, as already
    also called the Al-Si alloys, also increases the resistance to intergranular corrosion
    typical of this alloy."
    Last edited by andrea70; 10-11-2011 at 02:11 AM.
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

These wheels look very much like a Momo Lemans, did they have any relationship?
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132

Montecarlo is the first wheel mr.Moretti produced in the early sixties.
    it's the grandfather of all momo's steering wheels.
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

It may be that they were all made at the same facility. Was this Momo's own factory at the time?

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

MOMO RACING 935/78 MOBY DICK
    1978 PORSCHE 935/78 #930.890.0018

Certainly a candidate for the greatest Grand Touring race car of them all, the 935 followed Porsche's historical use of racing to both advertise and develop its products. With the introduction of the 911 in 1964, the factory began a program of developing the car through competition. By the mid-1970s, the RSR was an effective racing tool and the new 930 Turbo had just been released to the public.

At the same time, due to lack of interest from the manufacturers the FIA was revising its regulations to do away with the 3-litre prototype cars. The sport's ruling body felt that a new Group 5, or 'silhouette' class, which would be based on dramatically altered production-based vehicles, would attract new manufacturer involvement and thus enhance sports car racing.

By combining the already developed RSR with the new turbocharged engine, while taking full advantage of the new FIA Group 5 rules as far as bodywork was concerned, Porsche was able to produce the 935 in 1976.

After a year of successful racing in Europe, the 935 finally appeared in the United States in 1977 when both IMSA and the SCCA bowed to sponsorship pressure and allowed the cars to contest their series. This started a great era of GT racing in America. During this time, Peter Gregg, one of the principals in Brumos Motor Cars, a Jacksonville, Fl Porsche dealership was to become on of America's premier drivers of these cars.

0018 is one of 15 factory built cars for the 1978 season. Purchased by Gregg in November 1977, it became one of the winningest 935s. In 1978, Gregg was the IMSA champion in this car with 10 wins in 14 races. Gregg used 0018 sparingly in 1979 while capturing his second championship in a row before selling it in 1980 to Bruce Leven's Bayside Racing, where Hurley Haywood used it to contest the 1980 IMSA series.
    The 935/78 had been race-tested in the 6 hour event at Silverstone before Le Man, which Ickx/Mass had won. Though it dominated the 1976 and 1977 World Championship for manufacturers, the 'Moby Dick' was retired to a museum in 1978 following the lack of success achieved at the Le Mans effort.
    A handful of 935 vehicles were found in private ownerships, without the super-powerful, four-valve six that continued to capture countless national and international victories and championships. During the 1980's, the 935 Porsche continued to prove their durability and efficiency. This feat helped Porsche win every single World Championship for Makes up until 1981. The successful racing tradition continued for the Porsche 956, which was built to new motor racing regulations.
    All the best...P. Name:  IMGP7388 (2).jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  79.3 KBName:  IMGP7389 (2).jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  66.2 KBName:  IMGP7390 (2).jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  66.2 KBName:  IMGP7391 (2).jpg
Views: 979
Size:  68.6 KBName:  IMGP7392 (2).jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  74.9 KB
    Last edited by papiko; 11-30-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Hello to All, do you know that rare 370 mm diameter size, unusual Momo Prototipo? It differs from the "regular" prototipos in every detail, except for the genuine Momo-way of stitching of the leather. It's just the perfect size for both to handle and to see speedo and other dash instruments freely. I acquired it a year or so ago on a swap meet in Germany. It's from early 70s (I think '72 is stamped in it), absolutely flawless and installed now in my '72 S Coupe. I love it and saw no other such up till now anywhere. Please tell if you know anything of that kind of Prototipo. Thanks,
    GeorgeName:  911S_műszerfal.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  102.7 KB

1978 porsche 935/78Name:  Porsche-935-78--Moby-Dick-_1.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  98.7 KBName:  Porsche-935-78--Moby-Dick-_2.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  82.8 KBName:  Porsche-935-78--Moby-Dick-_3.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  68.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by papiko; 11-30-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sambapati View Post
    Hello to All, do you know that rare 370 mm diameter size, unusual Momo Prototipo? It differs from the "regular" prototipos in every detail, except for the genuine Momo-way of stitching of the leather. It's just the perfect size for both to handle and to see speedo and other dash instruments freely. I acquired it a year or so ago on a swap meet in Germany. It's from early 70s (I think '72 is stamped in it), absolutely flawless and installed now in my '72 S Coupe. I love it and saw no other such up till now anywhere. Please tell if you know anything of that kind of Prototipo. Thanks,
    GeorgeName:  911S_műszerfal.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  102.7 KB
    ...excuse me, mixed up pics. It's the previous one, a common "new" prototipo. I speak about the below wheel. Although it's Name:  prototipo_370mm1.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  43.9 KBName:  prototipo370mm2.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  52.9 KBName:  prototipo_370mm3.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  47.2 KBwith silver spokes not like all of the others but I like it.

Hello to All of you editing this thread. What about the brand called "Springall" made in GB during the end of 50s, early 60s? (Jim Clark also had Springalls in his race cars). I wanted an aftermarket wheel for my 356C and found this about a year ago on the UK one. Was a hard fight to get it. British guys new what it is, I just recognized its typical for 356Bs and Cs, also for early 911s riveted middle for horn pushes. Finally, I haven't installed it because too close to car's turn signal swicth needing no hub. Would be ok in a pre-69 911 by style but not in my '72 911. Maybe, it's been made for P. race cars only.
    You can see as bought, in perfect used condition and re-polished. I took off sticker but will put it Name:  Springall5.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  55.5 KBName:  springall3.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  16.6 KBName:  springall4.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  54.3 KBback. Its size is 380 mm.
    George

...wanted to say: found on the UK ebay...
    George