Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

That number, 12707, as best as I can determine is Patent/design number Moretti acquired even before he started Momo. To my knowledge, it only appears on the earliest wheels -- 1964-67. Don't know why he stopped using it.
    Remember that silver "1" wheel you sold at Lime Rock that I missed by 15 minutes? It had that 12707 too but with a different treatment.

Here's an example of how it was used on the first wheels he marketed... on the right side of the back of a 380 Le Mans wheel. This same treatment is also on my early Monti Carlo and was like this on the 400mm Monza I had a couple of years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    . . . Mighty familiar looking wheel there Rick ;-) Except for the Abarth engraving, the stitching and the spoke color, it is otherwise identical to the one I just sold . . .
    Yup . . .

. . . and yours looks a lot like one I juuuuust missed . . . on eBay, like, maybe --- three years, back?

Also --- wanna thank you for your 'heads-up,' coupla weeks back. I'd made an offer but . . . .

I won't forget that . . . or the wheel

Maybe next time, My Friend . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Nice wheel Rick, as I recall it was plenty spendy too.

Mark, that's what I was thinking; MoMo number (patent number). And you missed that wheel of mine by 3 minutes. I paid $40 for it and gave it away at $400. Right now it would fetch a lot more. What the hell, as my friend Frank G. says "you never lose money making a profit". His father taught him that.
    Last edited by Jens; 09-13-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    That number, 12707, as best as I can determine is Patent/design number Moretti acquired even before he started Momo. To my knowledge, it only appears on the earliest wheels -- 1964-67. Don't know why he stopped using it.
    I think I've seen the same number on wheels that MOMO supplied as OEM to a couple of Marques. I'll have to dig through a few pics. These were typically like the later Prototipo S style or another I can't name off the top of me head where padded center horn sections were added. I know SAAB used a MOMO as OEM etc.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

MoMo 'Elite' . . .

From an old thread . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...g-wheel-police

Wow

We Can Be Heroes

Rick, neither your post or the old one have live pics... would sure like to see "wow".
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    . . . Rick, neither your post or the old one have live pics . . .
    Yeah-yeah, Russ --- I know-I know . . . but I'm hoping one of our Resident Wheelmongers will dig 'round, back in their vaults . . . maybe pull out this little plum

Or maybe just give some back-round. From the looks of all o' these MoMos, it seems that Mr Moretti got a lotta mileage out not-a-lotta wheel blanks --- Sebring, Monza, Circle '1,' Le Mans --- now this

I've never even heard of an 'Elite' when I came across this, so . . . . . here's to hoping that someone has some details/stories/rumors/etc to share

We Can Be Heroes

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

Thanks again for that one G.K.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Here is one that I stumbled upon in my back room. Kind of different, but butt ugly, IMHO.

'Fauxbarth'

An Abarth sorta-look-a-like, hence --- Fauxbarth

Previously seen + described, here . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ing-wheel-911R

Maker + model unknown, 14 1/2 in/368 mm dia
    Black textured vinyl cover w/ black, possibly dark-gray stitching over glued-on leather 'gaiters' at each spoke, on a brushed-finished + what looks to be black-painted aluminum frame. Weight = 2.2 lbs/1 kg

Another less-common ‘slotted’ spoke style wheel, w/ 'Made in Italy' stamped in-/on-to the back of the 6 ‘o’clock. Good-looking + seemingly well-made bit

These seem to turn-up infrequently . . . and now, always make me suspicious . . . especially after seeing a stamped Abarth up close

Made in Italy,’ huh? Why would an Italian want/need to identify his product in English?

And why wouldn’t said maker put his name on his stuff? Nardi, MoMo, Abarth, et al all see fit to identify their products + marking them accordingly. Why not this?

Also missing is the circled 'R' + 'No 12707' stamped into the back of some other Italian-made steering wheels . . . which, by the way, don’t say ‘made anywhere’ . . . but their absence may have more to do with when they were made. And this wheel doesn’t look any decades old

I don’t think there’s anything really sinister going on here. Nardi made a very similar wheel --- but chose to put their name on it. But this wheel is uncomfortably closer in appearance to Abarth’s product . . . yet coyly leaves any distinctive identification off, so . . .

I think this is a well-made slotted wheel, commissioned by some manufacturer --- probably American . . . conveniently similar to an Abarth --- without being too obvious about it . . .

(Kinda like a Hummer’s vertically-slotted grill looking oh-so-much like a JEEP’s)

Differences are more obvious side-by-side, but, compared to a stamped Abarth . . . the Fauxbarth’s spokes aren’t quite as wide, w/ smaller/narrower slots, and are made from noticeably thicker/sturdier/heavier material.

Probably a more-durable bit . . . and nicely made, but --- well . . . just not the same

In other words --- if it doesn’t say Abarth? . . . then I don’t think it’s an Abarth

But --- if you’ve been looking as long as I have (especially for a black one) . . . and you’re getting kinda sick of it . . . then a tidy little Fauxbarth’s really-reeeeally close, huh?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-31-2019 at 04:53 AM.

We Can Be Heroes