Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many RHD 2.2Ss?

Hi Tom
    I guess when you segment cars that started with a relatively limited production run down far enough into sub categories or variants (as I think RHD is) they all become rare . I wonder how many RHD 1970 2.2S's there were in signal orange with xyz options? I am sure I could segment it down to a number that you can count on one hand . But I get where you are coming from......... Just because it is very rare it does not mean it is extra valuable. Sometimes it is rare because it is such a quirky spec that no one in their right mind should have ordered it! I don't think that is the case for RHD 2.2 S's although it certainly is for Mitchell's in the state he bought it - a turbo body and resale red "makeover" including "upgraded" interior. At least it still had the original engine. Hopefully it will be back to a recognizable 2.2S soon
    Last edited by HughH; 01-01-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hugh:

Let's hope so! I'm always up for a well executed restoration!

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hugh - good news, it is now recognizable as a 2.2S for those few in the real world who even know what that is. I expect it will be on the road in 2013. And thanks to alanuk for his contributions to that.

I can tell you there were at least 2 signal orange RHD 1970 2.2S - mine (9110300158) and 9110300157 which sold through export56 in recentish times.

While I know from Porsche it was delivered in the UK I am told (via enquiry on DDK) it was not an 'AFN' car but don't know who else delivered them in the UK as porsche tell me it is not a tourist delivery either???

Tracking backwards in oz gets me to about 2000 and a Fowles auction in Melbourne, but trail stops there.

Cheers all.

Good to hear about the progress. There were a few other RHD 1970 2.2S signal orange cars as well. Two were delivered to Australia #0507 and #1715; the Thackwell ST.
    I am still a bit confused about the origin of your car. It is on my list of "Australian cars" from Porsche (Hamilton's) but I have 16 chassis numbers on that list but I know only 14 cars were ordered. Some of the old records are like that. Sometimes it is not clear exactly which cars match up. Your car and one other do not have a paint code against them so I have always assumed it was not Australian ordered even though it is on the list - and especially since the person who sold it to you advertised it as "UK delivered". My list is "cars ordered" and that also includes tourist delivery cars. Did you get Porsche to tell you where it was ordered from? They should be able to know that. Also PCM "may" be able to fill in some earlier details, like how long they have records for it being in Australia, even if they cant give you names of owners for privacy reasons.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776