Page 16 of 86 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    Gib,

The Sahara Beige car is looking very fine, enjoy!

Phil
    Thanks, Phil...looking forward to seeing your Light Yellow 76 Turbo.

I made the comment awhile back in this thread that the 77 3.0 turbo look is a car that Porsche should have offered in the day. Well, it seems that maybe they did build one of these...a targa in Light Yellow, which is now for sale in the Netherlands for about 300k Euros. I would still rather have my Sahara Beige 77 3.0 turbo look...I just love driving this car!

http://www.thegallerybrummen.nl/en_E...6/details.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 06-03-2015 at 05:48 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Maybe some are confused or frustrated by my showing 2 different short hood 'projects' on the same thread. I thought about separating them a few weeks ago, but decided it wouldn't add much value for anyone who only wanted to see details of the Sahara Beige turbo look, or only the Guards Red 3.0 RS project. I initially felt that since this is a long hood web site, this thread is only for chuckles anyway.

I guess I have gone over to the 'dark side' to use another thread title...I have really enjoyed working on and planning the modifications on both these short hood projects. I will always love my 72 LY ST, and never get tired of driving it on back roads in the desert. But there is something pretty special about the Sahara Beige Turbo look 911, how it looks from any angle and how it drives and handles.

Doing a tribute to the 74 Carrera 3.0 RS is something I have always wanted to do because these were very special cars from Porsche. They were a wide body 3.0L MFI light weight road car using most of the tricks the factory learned on the '73 2.8L RSR to make it handle as a competition car...right out of the box. They didn't use coil overs or a twin plug high butterfly engine like the 2.8 RSRs, but the rest of the 'trick bits' were built in. Many were expected to be modified further into 3.0 RSRs, but many of the 55 or so built as special road cars were not converted. Today these 911s bring a well-deserved $1+ million each at auction. I would much rather own a 74 Carrera 3.0 RS than a typical 73 Carrera RS... as there are at least 1400+ fewer 3.0 RSs on the planet...and they had so many more special competition features than either the RS touring or RS light weight.

Here are more pics of the 3.0 RS tribute off the lift, with those factory RSR flares installed and the FG bumpers close to being fitted properly. Walking around the car, these flares look significantly different from the factory Turbo flares, and that is one big aspect that makes this project FUN.

There were one or two Carrera 3.0 RSs built with a sunroof (I have pics)...... also, the radio antenna will disappear, although several of the originals had them...but on the passenger side.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Do you mind to share the pictures of RS 3.0 with sunroof?
    Just curious to see them.

Do you plan to keep the sunroof on your car?

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    Do you mind to share the pictures of RS 3.0 with sunroof?
    Just curious to see them.

Do you plan to keep the sunroof on your car?
    Here are some pics of 3.0 RSs with a sunroof, look close to see it on 2 pics. These may be of the same car...not sure since a hood decal seems to be the only difference. Bob Aines knows of a 3.0 RS that was purchased by the president of Mexico initially and was sent back to the factory to have a sunroof installed. This car later came to Texas after the east coast owner moved. He doesn't think the pics shown here are that car. Also, including a pic of the yellow James Hunt 3.0 RS which has an antenna on the passenger side.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 06-04-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Pics of IROC and Carrera 3.0 RS cars that have inspired me to pursue this project...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Pretty pics.

The Allison RSR is what I'd call "a well used race car".

The current condition thanks to Aaron at FLAT 6 is nothing short of "as new" off the boat. It was backed into the wall at Daytona at triple digit speeds (at least) once. The fenders were cut off and replaced with Dzus fastened pieces and I'm pretty sure I recall the engine being welded on, etc. etc.

As collectibles these are all prettied up now but few are virgins and if somebody claims a race car is totally unscathed he or she is misguided in their thinking.

Carfax can't help. LOL!!!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Drove about 15 miles southeast this morning to visit Old Town in 'downtown' Florence, AZ. The city fathers have done a great job of restoring many of the old buildings...many nearly 100 years old. Florence used to be the capitol of AZ, but now it is just a sleepy little sonoran desert town.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

A few more....
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 06-09-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

And....some more....
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib,

great shots

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658