Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steering tube substitution? early LWB 911 347 073 00

Hi Jim, I think I have all the parts but the steering wheel is a Momo Monte Carlo. The rattle certainly feels like it comes from just behind the steering wheel. It happens when the car jars over rough roads (plenty of those in Christchurch NZ!). When above 90kmh he rattle happens over uneven surfaces. It is slightly annoying although I know it isn't a major issue.

Have you got any pointers with regards what I should be looking for at the rear of the steering wheel?

Cheers, Neil

Shift Knob Maker
    Just to add a little here, no that bearing should not be a needle bearing.

And yes, they can be serviced, remove the clip that holds the shell together, keep track of all the little ball bearings, clean everything (I soak the balls if a container, then wipe them clean) smear grease on the shell, add the bearings one at a time, place in a row into the grease, add a little more grease and put the shell back together. Not hard at all, but the balls are small..

Neil

Look at post # 11 in this thread. Your wheel should look just like the one in Sterling's excellent photos. The "split ring" is the root cause of most sheeting wheel wobbles. It needs to be installed just like the photo. I have seen them installed under the spring and backwards. They will not do their job (taking any slack out of the steering bearing/hub interface) if installed any other way than in the picture.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Nah, get a bigger hammer! I don't see any reason why it won't come out. Just think, worse case..............
    Jim
    I used a sledge. The reason you do not "see any reason why it won't come out" is that you keep thinking it is the stock bearing - it isn't. It is jammed in there hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    I used a sledge. The reason you do not "see any reason why it won't come out" is that you keep thinking it is the stock bearing - it isn't. It is jammed in there hard.
    Then buy a replacement one from me and end all this stuff.

It looks like they used the outer part of the bearing that fits into the column and made some, dumbshit, homemade roller bearing for the inner part. I suppose it was done because the PO of your car found out that that stupid bearing is approximately $250.00 from Porsche.

Ciao

Jim

Jim, thanks for the great information. I managed to remove the bearing by tapping it out as you described. I took it apart and cleaned the ball bearings and the races. I rebuilt it and re-installed. I will report back when I get the opportunity to test drive. I feel confident that the rebuild and clean and the re-assembly of the steering wheel components will make all the difference.

Cheers, Neil

Just to confirm the test drive was a great success. The steering rattle is now gone. Really nice to know it was such a simple fix.

Cheers, Neil

Any progress with your problem?

Nope - don't know what all I have to do to remove the steering tube.

I used my spare time to work on another old cult vehicle tho.