Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a fantastic 1973 911S tomorrow. Need a bit of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    Haven't been following my own thread

Let us see what I can provide for updates...

1. Have not talked to or received an email (or a bill) from Robert in 14 months. Did see the car about 8 months ago, but have missed Robert on the last 4 visits. No progress in 2 years at this point for those keeping score.

Ravi
    Which Robert are we talking about? Robert Gross? No call, email, NO CONTACT for 14 months. That's not cool.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Yep, Robert Gross.

I bought a 2011 Boxster Spyder with carbon fibre seats, sports exhaust, 5 sp and the bare bones radio to keep me entertained in the mean time. It too may be a classic by the time I get my 911 back

Living on top of the Macan for the winter.

Name:  IMG_1277.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  80.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

CtJ

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    . . . not talked to or received an email (or a bill) from Robert in 14 months. Did see the car about 8 months ago, but have missed Robert on the last 4 visits. No progress in 2 years at this point for those keeping score . . .
    Hm

Time spent in the shop = time not spent driving . . .

. . . = time for a little 'Come to Jesus'?

We Can Be Heroes

At long last, some updates.

Dropped by Robert Gross's shop on Friday and was pleased to see my car starting to get buttoned up. Wiring harness installed, gauges installed and a few other bits and pieces like the badge and grille. Badge is not the original orange bar, which I have safely tucked away until completion. It is something that probably got replaced win one of the left or right front end shunts the car had in its life.

He's having a lot of issues with Andrea's beautiful headliner (NOSGRUPPE.COM). It's a about a mil thicker than stock and is posing a bit of a problem with the stays and the window seals. Folded it around the frame and it's 2 mil thicker. Robert is going to try some heavy duty glue dabs in places and see how that goes. Perfect grain and pattern. We have compared it to originals in his shop, but just a bit too thick.

I also picked up my 6/72 Fuchs, so watch the classifieds for them. They appear original to the car, but can't be given that they are 8 months ahead of the production date of the car. I picked up a 12/72 set on this board 19 months ago and had them shipped directly to Harvey. Hoping they will be ready when my car is ready to roll.

cheers,
    Ravi

Name:  IMG_1484.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  87.9 KBName:  IMG_1483.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  99.0 KBName:  IMG_1482.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  126.8 KBName:  IMG_1485.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  86.2 KBName:  IMG_1486.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  94.3 KB
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 10-26-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Can't wait to see the end result! Looks like a candidate for another article for the Esses...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Time for a bümpdate . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Updates:

Making a trip every couple of weeks to Bolton, ON to deliver parts where Robert Groß has his shop. About a 2.5 hour drive along the back roads. Each way. Can't believe how far Toronto has expanded even in the 4.5 years my car has been at Robert's shop. It is currently the only car in his shop, so progress is finally happening at a good pace.

Currently brakes, master cylinder and stuff have all come together with new pistons for the front, seal kits and the like that I bought. Suspension too. Robert bought a plater, so he can do even small batches of stuff on site. Faster, cheaper and you get the exact finishes. So the brake lines were done in a snap.

Waiting on Harvey for the wheels. It's just over 2 years now, but apparently 2 of the rims I purchased (on this forum) had serious lip repairs, so Harvey was looking for 2 date matched ones for the past 6 months. He recently found them, bless his heart.

Have bi-weekly orders into Stoddard and Aase the past month. Genuine new parts, NOS where available (Aase is really great in this area), sometimes used (like the great black rimmed tail light lenses). Lots of stuff, like the door thresholds, were just too beat up to use (and still available from Porsche). All the turn signal boxes were beat up, not surprising since it had been hit in 3 corners over the years. Same for the H4s. Actually, the H4s can probably be restored. Will have to send to John Audette. Maybe, just maybe, if I do some metal work, the turn signal housings can be sent to him too. Door seals, window seals, bumper seals, washer pump, rotors, shifter linkage, rocker deco strips....just a lot of little stuff that adds up.

Very happy I have a Porsche Macan S to haul this stuff. Here's a pic with about US$12,500 worth of stuff in the back. For those of you who shun the Porsche SUVs, I highly recommend a drive in a Macan. It's fun and I can attest to its ability on the track too. Certainly competitive with a modern base 911 on a tight track. The 911 pulls away on the straights though.

Next delivery is the front and rear bumper deco strips (originals !), door thresholds, washer pump, a brake light switch, torsion bar covers and such.

Have to go back to the current Porsche headliner. The one bought from Andrea here was too too thick and the seals don't fit properly over it. Too bad, because I had my heart set on the proper hex pattern of that headliner.

Name:  IMG_1793.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  66.2 KB

Thread started 6.08.12

I'm not "The Lone Ranger" as my 356SC has been just as time consuming.

Continued good luck!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

What is interesting is the journey. And how virtually everything I thought I knew about this car prior to purchase was wrong.

"no accidents" --> at least 3
    "no rust" --> lots of rust around the accident damage.
    "last run in 2011" --> yeah, right
    "two owner" --> more like 7
    "one repaint" --> At least 6 coats

But now it is a perfect, no stories car and everything gets reset to zero. No rust, no accidents, original colour, rebuilt motor, MFI etc. etc. etc.

It's so close to finishing I can smell it!

Ravi

Pictures please!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100