Thread: Reclining lock mechanism question

Reclining lock mechanism question

Working on a reclining seat mechanism where the seat back does not lock firmly in place. What kind of clearance should the shaft, with the spur gear on it that goes thru the bevel gear, have? This one has a lot of clearance so the shaft can be tilted a lot and dis-engage the bevel gears. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think there is gear adjustment necessary. The spring loaded release handle (when pulled) will release the 2 gears enough for the seat back to move, then just let go of the handle and the 2 gears will snap back into what ever position you desire. The shaft gear (moving gear) has its movement regulated by the tang on the handle that fits into the moving gear groove. Just be sure that both mating surfaces, on the permanently fixed mesh gear (bottom part or recliner) and the moving gear, are in good shape or you will have issues with the seat back staying position while driving

Thanks for the information. Will check that everything is cleaned and in good condition.

Here is a right hand recliner with all of it's parts. There is no "adjustment" other that being able to move the snap ring on the splined shaft. It is only there to limit travel of the gear (the one missing in your photo) from moving too far out and allowing the adjustment lever to jump out of its groove. You didn't mention what year your seats are but they are somewhere between 66 and 68. The plastic cover (beige in color on 67 and earlier hinges and black on 68 hinges, yes I know that some ROW 68s and very early production 68 had beige hinges, too) also needs to be in place to help keep things together. A cracked or broken plastic cover usually signals there is something wrong with the hinge.

Regards

Jim
    Capt, Seat hinge Police

Name:  IMG_1927.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  61.2 KB

Jim,

Very helpful.
    I do need those two gears and the axial closest part to the seat on the shaft also(snap Ring?).
    Put it in my list��

BR

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    Name:  IMG_1927.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  61.2 KB

Jim,

Very helpful.
    I do need those two gears and the axial closest part to the seat on the shaft also(snap Ring?).
    Put it in my list��

BR

Dirk
    No, you don't need those parts. Your hinge is just as it should be. You have pictured the inside hinge on the driver's side (left). It doesn't have any of that stuff. It just "follows" the outside (the one with the adjuster lever) hinge using the splined cross over rod. The beveled gears are only on the hinge with the adjuster lever. I have pictured a pair of hinges from the right seat but they are mirror images of the left seat. The only "gear" on the inside hinges is the gear on the end of the splined shaft that mates with the gears on the upper half of the hinge. You can't really see them in these pictures. Note that there is only one hook to keep the seat back from folding forward. SWB cars had hooks on both hinges (only on the right seat, though, except for 68 seats that had them on both seats)

Ciao

Jim

Jim,

you are right. Normally I would not need thoses things.
    I try to transform a inner driver (LHD) Turbo hinge to a outer passenger (LHD) S seat hinge.
    Got the lever and the welding of the lower part to hold the lever should start soon.
    Just need the gears to know where to place the lever right.

An option would be to replace the lower hing part by one of a comfort seat, so that I do not have to weld holders,....

Regards

Dirk

Jim,

I try to transform a inner driver (LHD) Turbo hinge to a outer passenger (LHD) S seat hinge.
    Got the lever and the welding of the lower part to hold the lever should start soon.

An option would be to replace the lower hing part by one of a comfort seat, so that I do not have to weld holders,....

Regards

Dirk
    Replacing the lower part sure seems like a better way to go. I know a guy who may be able to help you.

Ciao

Jim

Dirk, pm sent...

Jim,

Regards

Dirk

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions and explanations. Cleaned assembly of years of crud and made sure all parts were intact. That has seemed to have taken care of the problem.