Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Parts Classifieds beginning to look like Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I suspect the bar is set too high for build threads. If it's not a cool hot rod or a fastidiously correct restoration, I think some people don't think what they are doing is good enough. I know I have reservations about posting my progress here. I am planning to build a clean driver, definitely not in the same class as a lot of what is seen here.
    No, keep posting as it's what it's all about! Fun and passion. Every build is different in a good way.
    72S, 72T now ST

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    I'm not allowed to post....
    Erik, now that im the president of the 912 registry, and the registry controls that forum now I am looking to change things. I'd love to talk and figure a way for it to be more inclusive for vendors over there (while not opening the door for vendors to take advantage of the forum - which we found happening and what caused the whole 'no vendors thing' in the past). I think we are missing the boat, but need to find a reasonable middle ground. I would love to get your input on how we can find a way to do this.

email me. lets talk.

HH
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    Ok, I vote that the first posting for any item for sale is free. Charge five bucks for every bump. And, for the shameless ones that start a new thread for the same crap to avoid the bump limit, charge a $100 penalty.
    +1 I'd be fine with that

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    I miss all the cool build threads more than anything. It seems guys just don't want to put their builds out there to the forum anymore.
    Thats very true. Why put it out there to get degrading comments? I don't mind constructive comments and suggestions, but a few folks take it away too far in negativity.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman912 View Post
    Erik, now that im the president of the 912 registry, and the registry controls that forum now I am looking to change things. I'd love to talk and figure a way for it to be more inclusive for vendors over there (while not opening the door for vendors to take advantage of the forum - which we found happening and what caused the whole 'no vendors thing' in the past). I think we are missing the boat, but need to find a reasonable middle ground. I would love to get your input on how we can find a way to do this.

email me. lets talk.

HH
    I was not allowed to post parts for sale on the 912 or the EarlyS sites for a long time. Never did post any for sale stuff on the 912 site that I can recall. This makes no sense!
    Just cause you hold a business license, pay taxes on your sales, have insurance, well treated employees, and a host of other expenses that go along with operating a legit business supporting the Porsche hobby, you are not allowed to post "for sale" items. I get that it would not be cool to have businesses posting a sale on air filters or just adds calling attention to themselves. A Porsche related business would not think of posting some "for sale" items that get posted by some of our more prolific posters in the "for sale" sections. A business is usually looking for repeat business and posting useless crap at hideous prices and then bumping their unsold crap many times and wondering why nobody is interested would be counter productive. This is done all the time by individuals that call themselves "hobbiests". ||That is a bunch of BS, they are unlicensed, un-regulated "for profit" businesses and are allowed to get away with it and, in fact, are given an advantage over decent, hard working, ethical people that have done nothing wrong except to hold a valid business license.
    So, how about letting adds run for a specific amount of time and then be automatically deleted? That is done on the 356 Registry classifieds. Limit the number of current adds to a specific number per individual. That would serve to get rid of some of the comical adds for junk that nobody wants, I would think. Post a set of rules for sellers including a liberal return policy and ban sellers who out and out lie about condition, which is done often. In a nut shell, just have a level playing field for all participants.
    Posting "for sale" items on this site should be considered a privilege and easily revoked.
    It should also be a safe haven for buyers as opposed to those other sites.

Regards

Jim
    Retired owner of a junk yard full of old greasy, rusty, stuff.
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 06-25-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    I was not allowed to post parts for sale on the 912 or the EarlyS sites for a long time. Never did post any for sale stuff on the 912 site that I can recall. This makes no sense!
    Just cause you hold a business license, pay taxes on your sales, have insurance, well treated employees, and a host of other expenses that go along with operating a legit business supporting the Porsche hobby, you are not allowed to post "for sale" items. I get that it would not be cool to have businesses posting a sale on air filters or just adds calling attention to themselves. A Porsche related business would not think of posting some "for sale" items that get posted by some of our more prolific posters in the "for sale" sections. A business is usually looking for repeat business and posting useless crap at hideous prices and then bumping their unsold crap many times and wondering why nobody is interested would be counter productive. This is done all the time by individuals that call themselves "hobbiests". ||That is a bunch of BS, they are unlicensed, un-regulated "for profit" businesses and are allowed to get away with it and, in fact, are given an advantage over decent, hard working, ethical people that have done nothing wrong except to hold a valid business license.
    So, how about letting adds run for a specific amount of time and then be automatically deleted? That is done on the 356 Registry classifieds. Limit the number of current adds to a specific number per individual. That would serve to get rid of some of the comical adds for junk that nobody wants, I would think. Post a set of rules for sellers including a liberal return policy and ban sellers who out and out lie about condition, which is done often. In a nut shell, just have a level playing field for all participants.
    Posting "for sale" items on this site should be considered a privilege and easily revoked.
    It should also be a safe haven for buyers as opposed to those other sites.

Regards

Jim
    Retired owner of a junk yard full of old greasy, rusty, stuff.
    Fair points Jim. Some folks pretend they are Hobbiests. I also agree

"Post a set of rules for sellers including a liberal return policy and ban sellers who out and out lie about condition, which is done often. In a nut shell, just have a level playing field for all participants. Posting "for sale" items on this site should be considered a privilege and easily revoked".

As I am gathering all the parts for my 911S restoration, I am thankful that most sellers here allow a generous return and are fair in their descriptions. But clearly some are less than honest about condition - and just want to sell the junk they have. I've had one of these lately where a frequent seller didn't even acknowledge the complaint.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Just a thought.

When you open a post you can see what status the poster is ie Non Member, Junior Member , Member, Senior Member.
    Take the For Sale Section,, when scrolling down the list of adverts you only see who started the post but not their membership status.
    Could it not be arranged so that you can tell what status the "starting poster" is by perhaps putting an * for non members, freeloaders and those that continue to fill the F/Sale section junk that they probably have had no luck in coercing those on the bird or that latino dance site to purchase?

SERIOUSLY you could do a trial on Frank..... lol .
    Mark

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Just a thought.

When you open a post you can see what status the poster is ie Non Member, Junior Member , Member, Senior Member.
    Take the For Sale Section,, when scrolling down the list of adverts you only see who started the post but not their membership status.
    Could it not be arranged so that you can tell what status the "starting poster" is by perhaps putting an * for non members, freeloaders and those that continue to fill the F/Sale section junk that they probably have had no luck in coercing those on the bird or that latino dance site to purchase?

SERIOUSLY you could do a trial on Frank..... lol .
    Lol.

I make no bones about being a non member. Membership offers nothing I’m interested in.
    However...

I’m betting my donations exceed the amount most members give. And I’m happy to do it.

"Joe say it isn't so... Frank a Freeloader :O"
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Banned
    Joe,
    I might consider becoming a member as long as no one put my name on a list, contacted me, sent me anything, included me for gatherings, invited me to car shows, or treated me differently because I was a member vs. a non-member.

I would sign up for that.

Don’t confuse freeloaders or selfish bass turds with paying non-members.