Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro original turn signals

Euro original turn signals

Hi,
    I'm slowly returning my 70T to a more original look from it's current 73 RS look (although it'll probably look more like an R than a T once I'm done). The previous owner replaced the chrome surround turn signals and horn grills with black surrounds. Over the last few months I've accumulated a complete set of 'original' Bosch turn signals. However, they all have differences and I'm interested to know what the differences were between 69 and 71. These are all Euro spec as I am based in Switzerland.

Here's the complete set, together with the new AFS horn grills that look superb. This photo makes it look as if only one of the rears has a rectangular part in the reflector that is different from the rest of the red. It's on both and a trick of the light. They are also all pretty much identical in colour.
    Name:  IMG_0902.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  75.5 KB

The left and right fronts. Note the differences in the Bosch logo. One could be a repro or a later replacement from Bosch as the second one looks unused
    Name:  IMG_0903.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0904.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  66.8 KB

And the rears. One has markings on the red reflector part, but the other one does not.
    Name:  IMG_0905.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0907.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0908.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0909.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  63.5 KB

Questions: Are they all original, and which years are they from? I assume at least one is a newer Bosch replacement lens.

They all need cleaning and restoration work, particularly the rears; one of which has no chrome colour at all and the other that has some flaked paint. For the chrome repair, I bought some Spaz Stix chrome paint and backer which looks to be the best chrome paint in a rattle can on the market. Once I've given the lenses a thorough clean I will try to repaint them. I also intend to repair the scratches and have been watching a few Youtube videos on this.
    Name:  IMG_0928.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  101.7 KB

Many thanks

Paul

All of your lenses match authentic Bosch lenses that I own. The markings evolved over the years.

Good luck with the chrome paint. Others have tried but the concensus is that the silver trim isn't restorable to any acceptable standard due to its application on the inside of the lens. We'd all love to be proven incorrect.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 07-02-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Hi Paul,
    I have spent the last week cleaning my Bosch lenses with black trim. I found that buytl cellosolve was excellent for removing the old paint. Good luck with the silver paint.
    Gitesh

The chrome trim is restorable to high level. Not difficult. Really professional like-new result.

Quote Originally Posted by lrogacs View Post
    The chrome trim is restorable to high level. Not difficult. Really professional like-new result.
    I call BS. Please elaborate. Many of us have tried and none have succeeded owing to the fact that the application of the silver is on the inside of the lens so the mirrored finished must be visible through the clear plastic. You'd be very popular around here if you could succeed where so many have failed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lrogacs View Post
    Pics would be great.

I'll post some pics of my resto effort. I'm going to try a small repair to start with which will be a respray of the flaky paint shown on the last pic. If that doesn't work out I'll try a full respray of the penultimate lens as that one has no chrome on it at all, but I'll clean then up using buytl cellosolve as recommended by Gitesh first.

It's going to be a few weeks though as I'm travelling a lot at the moment.

I had a few mins over the weekend and started the restoration of a couple of my lenses. First a localised repair. All I've done here is throughly cleaned the areas where the chrome was flaking and resprayed it using Spaz Stix chrome paint and then backed it with their black backer (I haven't included pics of that stage).

Before showing the damage
    Name:  IMG_0952.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  114.3 KB

Masked up
    Name:  IMG_0953.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0954.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  101.1 KB

Sprayed with chrome paint. There is a black backer, which I sprayed on after this was dry
    Name:  IMG_0956.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  98.1 KB

Finished. I need to polish the lens as there's a bit of overspray, but I'm very happy with the result.
    Name:  IMG_0961.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  98.9 KB

Full repair. This one was completely stripped of all chrome.
    Name:  IMG_0958.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  87.7 KB

Cutting of overspray and polishing required here too, but overall a great result.
    Name:  IMG_0962.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  58.6 KB

2 more to do and a bit of stripping, but those were the worst 2.
    Last edited by PMNorris; 07-17-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Sorry to say but those results would not be acceptable to me, any kind of so called "chrome" paint will not give you original chrome finish. Redoing the later lenses with black trim I have seen good results.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Sorry to say but those results would not be acceptable to me, any kind of so called "chrome" paint will not give you original chrome finish. Redoing the later lenses with black trim I have seen good results.
    Unfortunately, I agree. I applaud your efforts but, if I'm being honest, those look awful.