Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrades What Is Acceptable?

There is no wrong or right to this. We all have our differing opinions.
    I have just bought Mac's 2.4S. A car which has had a beautiful restoration carried out with much thought, love and attention.
    So one could argue that it has lost its identity or originality.
    Why would I pay so much money for such a thing.
    Because I feel like I have just purchased a brand new 1973 2.4S.
    I can relive that era that I was far to young and did not have the money to enjoy.
    My 67S I will probably run Flat 6's on when the car finally gets restored and run a decent size tyre.
    Why would I want to spend at a guess $10,000 on finding a set of 4.5's which I am guessing ran tubes.
    I have a set of 4.5 steels that I will get re-chromed. I think the Fuchs were an option but I could be wrong.
    My 65 FIA historic race car.
    What a lovely car that is.
    Driving it as Porsche intended I feel honoured.
    It runs replica lights, horn grilles and script.
    The originals I have safely stored away.
    Interior of course is a cage, a fire proof headlining in matching material to the race seats.
    It is a functional road legal race car and I love it.
    For me the 911 offers the most tactile and visceral experience over any other car I have ever driven.
    Use ability and enjoyment is the key.
    What else are we doing it for
    early S registry # 2596

Cool

We're assuming that all the early cars are equally significant. That's simply not the case. My 1973 911 is simply not all that important to the history of transportation.

We might want to look at the National Register of Historic Places. A property listed in the National Register, or located within a National Register Historic District, is unique. The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the United States federal government's official list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects deemed worthy of preservation.

Not every building in the United States is considered significant enough to be registered as a historic building. I grew up in a very nice home that no longer exists. The city decided that my childhood home really wasn't all that important and tore it down.

Some 911s are more significant than others. Some are like my old childhood home. That means there are different rules as to how these cars are treated.

Now alls we have to do is figure out how to define significant.

Richard Newton
    FIA Rules for Historic Racing
    Last edited by Richardnew; 09-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.

dhopkins, you gave an opinion in 2005 and now your opinions have change, please enlighten us ( in other words what is your opinion now )

Banned
    I submitted this question to Beverly Hills Car Club and they said flares, tails, VW motors, and aftermarket seats, especially any OEM seat from an AMC product was acceptable.

Frank.....so a V8 conversion may not even be acceptable to them .......or was it so normal to them that they did not even think to mention it
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

My silly opinion: in anything the public will only accept small incremental changes. Making giant leaps is always too much for most to handle in the short term. Look at the changes R Gruppe was doing circa 2005. Those alterations would've been taboo in an earlier time. And now in 2016 the trend is toward totally stock. There's a rhythm and cycle of fashion to everything.

Personally I intend to do whatever I want with my historically insignificant rust bucket. Modern technology has improved certain aspects that don't detract from the look and experience of these little cars. In part because my better half will be more inclined to ride, the car can be made a bit safer (modern, three point safety belts, et cetera), and because I enjoy making it my own.

[QUOTE=Puma;890017]Personally I intend to do whatever I want with my historically insignificant rust bucket.QUOTE]

Love that. It pretty much sums it up for me
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

After seeing Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale AZ with all the resto-mods and the prices they are now getting, and how some even got more than an restored original car of the same make. Do you think our Porsche could ever do the same?

More roads than Museums............and the kids don't care.....cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-26-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gulforange View Post
    After seeing Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale AZ with all the resto-mods and the prices they are now getting, and how some even got more than an restored original car of the same make. Do you think our Porsche could ever do the same?
    Tastes are changing and I saw this resto-mod thing coming a few years back. I think the old numbers/date codes slaves are a dying breed.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000