Page 77 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

I'm not sure why, exactly --- but I've been a bit shy about winding the Nasty Car up. Afraid of maybe breaking something. Or hurting something, somehow. And it's not so much the money it could cost to fix things, as, well . . . I don't know . . .
    Now THAT surprises me about you, Rick

That car of yours beckons for something more like this, every now and then. You can bet a certain Swiss owner took it upon himself to do so...

Name:  DSC06482.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  140.2 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

A Practical Guy

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    . . . That car of yours beckons for something more like this, every now and then . . .
    Yeah --- been kinda working my way Up There. It's just taken this long

And 1059 runs a LOT differently, now, too. When I first got her, she didn't really feel all that revvy --- which I just attributed to age + wear. But ever since Marco spent a whole day adjusting absolutely everything from the throttle plates back? . . . muuuucho better: starts easy, idles smoothly, powers-up nicely --- + sounds terrific . . . and Marco calls this engine 'tired.' Still a whole lotta NVH --- especially for something that's all stock. I can only imagine the amount/kinda caterwauling a full-on set o' headers must make

Meanwhile --- I'm happy to be able to use the car as much as/the way we do . . . car shows, day-trips, some few little excursions here + there = just a car. I'm more of a cruiser, anyway --- not the fastest guy, maybe . . . but the Last Guy to Stop. It IS fun to go blasting-off --- between the noise + power-band, Nasty Car is a total terror in any traffic . . . but, on the other hand . . . I'd hate to mess w/ her general utility/usability/availability by being careless, doing something extra-stupid

And so, like I said . . . been a little shy --- but . . .

. . . we're getting over it

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    . . . You can bet a certain Swiss owner took it upon himself to do so... . . .
    It's funny . . . but --- more + more . . . my impressions of Mr Siffert are changing, somewhat

His dad was dairy farmer, and he had a very working-class up-bringing --- started-out racing motorcycles, financed himself by dealing in scrap-metal and used cars. Got his Traders' chops from his mom, apparently. Anyway . . . no silver spoon, here

And he was a Racer . . . but he wasn't reckless. More like calculating. Didn't seem to blow-up many cars --- or crash out. And --- even though he's most famous for his skills/exploits in the 917 . . . the first time he had a chance to race the thing --- at Spa, in '69 . . .

'. . . no thanks . . .'

Instead? --- he drove a 908 --- 'cause it was faster. Plus, prolly didn't help that his team mate Brian Redman had called the car . . . 'incredibly unstable'

And, also --- from some o' the photos that I've seen of him . . . seems Mr Siffert was a Practical Guy

I like that
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-15-2015 at 03:07 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Momo 230 Hub

Been looking for one o' these --- + for a while, too . . . $485 w/ shipping

'Nother One o' Those Bits that's kinda gone invisible + 'outta sight' in the last few years . . .

2010 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=FS%3A+MOMO

'11 . . .

'12 . . .

Last one that I saw advertised = $600 asking, so . . .

OK-OK --- so this one 's a little/lot more patinated/used/'beat-up' than some, but - then . . . it won't look outta place w/ the rest of the interior, so . . .

. . . Merry Christmas
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-20-2015 at 10:15 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

One Other Odd + End . . .

. . . I ran into Dieter Landenberger --- the Manager of Porsche's Archives . . . at the PCA Parade, this past Summer. Spoke w/ him, just briefly . . .

I asked him if there might be something in the Archives that might help me track down anything more about 1059, and he told me . . .

'. . . No-no. That was strictly a 'hand-shake' deal --- between (Helmuth) Bott and Siffert. No records . . .'

We Can Be Heroes

Hey, Shaun! . . .

Funny. Never been all-that interested in Italian cars --- Ferraris, Maseratis, even Alfas . . .

. . . but Lancias? --- yes. Very clever cars --- still accessible. Also different. And beautiful . . .

. . . but no --- no other details on this one, sorry

And after a week-end full of car shows + driving . . . another car conversation/garage tour would've prolly done it --- for Zovig

Thanks Rick. Really looking forward to the hunt for one of these. Keep up the great posts!
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

(One Hundred) Eighty Thousand . . .

. . . kilometers . . .

My somewhat-regular 25-mile 'tune-up'

Keeps the batteries charged, tires round, juices flowing

Lucky

Well . . . . mostly

We Can Be Heroes

Blaupunkt Köln . . .

. . . aka Cologne

Some interesting details in this thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...9-WITH-MANUALS

1059 was originally fitted w/ just this radio --- a kinda high-end signal-seeking unit . . . so I'm always interested when any of these Little Beasties come up for sale. Not exactly a common bit --- especially in our cars, it seems . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...+radio+install

And any aesthetics --- or knobs + bezels aside . . . the one really striking feature of these? . . .

. . . is their sheer mass

Things are VAST --- courtesy of some kinda transistor pack (?) that lives w/ it . . . which looks to be almost the same size as the radio itself

Yikes!

Plus? Not only does there seem to be a wide variety of units built --- and over a some length of time . . . but there also seems to be all manner of knobs/bezels/hardware that get stuck to these things. Curious about how much this stuff is Blaupunkt's . . . and how much isn't

I would love to see a Porsche that has a Köln fitted --- and I don't mean just the facia

Really love to see how this thing fits up under the dash

We Can Be Heroes

An Olde Trunke

. . . I don't think that I have any really decent/full-on shots of what The Original looked like 'before.' I thought it was semi-matt grey, but . . .
    You'd think that ---w/ as many pictures as I take . . . I'd have some of the trunk --- and turns out I do . . .

. . . found these on another thread --- see post #126 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-trunks/page13

I know-I know --- kind of an eye-sore for some . . . but this is also one of the things that I love about Old Cars in general --- + this car in particular. No one's 'restored' anything here. Check out the 'they-didn't-quite-get-around-to-it' finish of the 'smuggler's box' top. At least nine-owners'-worth o' use/abuse/tidy-up-to-taste --- and still just a car, ya know? And I'm sure not gonna feel guilty stuffing tools, spares --- or some-few bags of Gro-Mulch in here

Then again . . . no Gucci bags or fuzzy sweaters will turn up here, either . . . . (Zovig)

Anyway --- looking at these pics, what I remember was that the tank had been spray-painted w/ some kinda fairly-durable semi-gloss black . . . which seemed to carry over into the spare well + battery boxes. Not particularly tidy --- schpritzed the vapor-return line + tank sender, w/ the same dollop --- but . . . . all done some time ago. None of the POs Mark + Lou had anything to do w/ it. Also, the floor of the spare well was touched-up some, by the two body-shops she's been to w/ Yours Truly, so . . .

. . . trunk's seen some action . . .

. . . w/ More to Come

Much, much more
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-18-2015 at 07:41 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Hi Rick!
    We joined here at the same and I have followed your adventures from the start. It would be a lie to say I have read everything in you project thread, it is simply too massive and I have been away for periods. But I really appreciate your thread and all the good work you are doing here as the registry archivist. I´m also glad it was a guy like you who got the pleasant surprise finding out who was the original owner of your car!

I have promised you some project threads, and I finally found the time to start one today. I actually used to have a thread on the 70S also, but got zero response on that one so ended up deleting it..

Will do my best to make it more interesting when I try again soon, so stay tuned!

Cheers, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Quote Originally Posted by Schiefer View Post
    . . . Hi Rick!
    We joined here at the same and I have followed your adventures from the start. It would be a lie to say I have read everything in you project thread, it is simply too massive and I have been away for periods. But I really appreciate your thread and all the good work you are doing here as the registry archivist. I´m also glad it was a guy like you who got the pleasant surprise finding out who was the original owner of your car!

I have promised you some project threads, and I finally found the time to start one today. I actually used to have a thread on the 70S also, but got zero response on that one so ended up deleting it..

Will do my best to make it more interesting when I try again soon, so stay tuned! . . .

Hey, Radmund . . .

I've enjoyed reading about you and your brother --- and I remember your lovely lavender car . . . and read in your signature that you also had a '70 S . . . and wondered why I couldn't recall more about it. I would love to know more --- and about your adventures with it, as well

Please don't be put-off by people's responses --- or the lack of them . . . to anything that you might share w/ us, here. I suspect most Readers get a lot of enjoyment from reading about the cars and projects of others --- and yours would be fascinating . . . more so coming from another part of the world that most of us might never see. And it's always inspiring to me --- to read about someone making the effort to find + restore an Early 911 . . . then sharing what they go through, here, with us

I come here --- and stay here . . .

. . . because of/to read Stories Like Yours
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=lavender
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...for-US-history

And thank you for writing
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-23-2015 at 02:10 AM.

We Can Be Heroes