Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 R with 1968 912 roots..

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    I think it's great you have a plan.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris, It's a good feeling to know this debate is over with. Going real fast in a straight line isn't everything to me and never has been. I always lighten my cars to add performance and better braking and handling so this feels right for me. I feel as though most of us are not even skilled enough to drive our stock 911s flat out through tight turns as they are built from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by H-viken View Post
    Good for you man! There is no right or wrong answer here, but I think down the line you will be happy for this decision. Your conundrum made me think what I would have done myself and I came to the same conclusion as you. The only other acceptable alternative (to me) would have been to follow DanM's advise and run it with a 911 engine but 912 badging (for the same reason I'm not a fan of backdating).

I'm looking forward to following your build, keep the pics and details coming!

Cheers!

Johan
    Thank you Johan,

The man i'm buying this motor from owns (3) 911s. He is in the business of buying and selling Porsche it seems. He may be a member here i didn't ask.
    He has an original '73 viper green 911S he bought years ago before the bubble, an original silver 911E (think it was a '71?) with failed clear coat and his daily driver 911 Super Carrera cabriolet.

I'll ask him if it is alright to take a couple photos of his early cars when i make the trek to his home after the holiday.

The motor had it's head studs done correctly before being properly stored in the seller's barn 7 years ago.
    He says it will run as is but I'd like to re seal it so my plan is to add power while in there as i would like 130 - 140 BHP.
    It will be a light, balanced and quick classic Porsche in it's original sepia brown color.

25 years ago as a young guy looking to get into a 911 somehow, 912s didn't interest me. Now that my tastes have matured, i see the advantages to the lighter power plant and better balance on the swb examples, not just the power deficit.

Thanks again everyone for the great advice.-MattName:  rr vw.JPG
Views: 1009
Size:  179.2 KB
    Last edited by Fixer; 06-30-2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: 1 typo and for added clarity
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Easy to do, however, get your "pick-up" and back it into your local bank. You will need a fairly sizable load to finish correctly. Misc. parts for these projects are as high as the cars themselves. Good luck, and pick the right color !!!
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Be careful. 130 to 140 hp out of a 616 engine in a 912 is not inexpensive if built for reliability. I was on that exact path when I factored the cost and made a small jump in price and went POLO. If you are a DIY'er engine builder then that's a different story. Maybe a nice used 3.2 Carrera engine would be more economical but heavier. I contacted most of the well known 616 engine builders 4 years ago and realized it would take some very high quality parts to make that power and run well for a long time. Do some serious research before building a 616 with that kind of goal. Here are pictures of the case of a 616 and the case of a POLO. A 616 has fewer main bearings and a POLO has 5. The case is very stout.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

These Polo engines blow my mind.

Hi !! Fixer

I have very same project with you !! i love the R's and here in this forum is the best of the best for have a lot of info and ideas !!!

I not have 100% finish but is very near !!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  83.5 KB

Views: 965
Size:  81.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    Easy to do, however, get your "pick-up" and back it into your local bank. You will need a fairly sizable load to finish correctly. Misc. parts for these projects are as high as the cars themselves. Good luck, and pick the right color !!!
    The color will be kept it is sepia brown. I like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    Be careful. 130 to 140 hp out of a 616 engine in a 912 is not inexpensive if built for reliability. I was on that exact path when I factored the cost and made a small jump in price and went POLO. If you are a DIY'er engine builder then that's a different story. Maybe a nice used 3.2 Carrera engine would be more economical but heavier. I contacted most of the well known 616 engine builders 4 years ago and realized it would take some very high quality parts to make that power and run well for a long time. Do some serious research before building a 616 with that kind of goal. Here are pictures of the case of a 616 and the case of a POLO. A 616 has fewer main bearings and a POLO has 5. The case is very stout.
    Yes I agree. The more research i do on these old 616s the more i start dreaming about a flat 6. I am looking to buy the whole '77S again. This IS getting expensive already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    These Polo engines blow my mind.
    Me too, I would actually prefer one to a flat 6 in a swb car. They are works of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm993rs View Post
    Hi !! Fixer

I have very same project with you !! i love the R's and here in this forum is the best of the best for have a lot of info and ideas !!!

I not have 100% finish but is very near !!

Views: 970
Size:  83.5 KB

Views: 965
Size:  81.9 KB
    Wow, beautiful job. I like the period correct tires too !

I'm taking my water cooled lightweight (800 pounds lighter than delivered and with one engine accessory belt)
    to go look at the '77S parts car today. This car rips too..
    Name:  photo 8.JPG
Views: 920
Size:  131.4 KBName:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 908
Size:  133.5 KBName:  photo 6.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  160.6 KBName:  one belt!.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  115.6 KBName:  current graphics.JPG
Views: 942
Size:  162.9 KB
    Last edited by Fixer; 07-01-2015 at 04:46 AM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Harry this ^ definitely inspires me.

I had a few hours to get started today. I've just been thinking about the approach.(fun part)

I made a tool today to make my own 3.25" long x 5/16" louvers, It only took a focused 2 hours.

My 912 "Stinger" (thought of this today due to exhaust it will have) concept will be clean and hopefully a tasteful addition to the great Porsches owned by members here. It's not going to be a faithful R tribute build (i need more freedom) but rather a custom and not a Porsche "rat rod" or outlaw. But it will be very light and very fast.

Motor:
    I'm going with a custom air cooled, dry sump, flat four I will build (No VW parts!) with 230 HP in NA form. It will be robust enough to be turbo charged but i must decide on this beforehand due to compression ratio as you guys all know.

Have a great night. -Matt
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I did lost faith in such project after SugarBaby bad experience, but guys, you give it back to me.

Good luck with your project.
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Matthew,

Looks like we'll be embarking on a "912R" together; I recently picked up a '68 912 roller for a donor car to my '71 911T, only to realize that it was too nice of a chassis to cut the top off.

IMO, the '68 912 is a perfect candidate for an R-inspired hot rod due to a few MY68 specific parts. I'll be throwing together a build post shortly - I look forward to seeing your build progress and comparing notes!

Name:  IMG_0179.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  127.1 KB
    Greg Bartley
    GM at Makellos Classics | PCA-SDR Webmaster
    2018 911 GT3 (Graphite Blue/Black)
    1973 911T /w Rothsport 3.6 (Raspberry/Black) [FOR SALE]
    1971 911T ROW (Light Ivory/Black) [SOLD]
    1969 911T /w 31k miles (Polo Red/Black) [FOR SALE]
    1967 911S #307904 (Tangerine/Black) Looking for engine #961590 and gearbox #104594

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I think Keith from Classic 911 magazine has hotrod a 912, covered in the magazine. I think I saw one with a Polo engine too. Probably more expensive though.
    The 912 is actually quite quick in tight curves, better balance.
    Thanks, I plan on mine being quite quick too. I am going with a blueprinted 2.0L Type 4 motor that began life in a 914. It will make a reliable 180 BHP and ample torque.

I haven't posted here in some time sorry, This car will be called the STINGER 912. It will not be a 911R clone.

I can't imagine how one would dent a Porsche door the way this one is. Deep stretched dents, and smaller very deep dents, like done with a pick ax. I wanted to get this door somewhat straight before I removed it. I'll get it close to ready for primer instead.

Anyway, I thought this should be posted b/c it turned out well !

I made a remote planishing hammer out of an old cheap masonry air chisel.
    Worked like a charm hooked up to the Gilbarco compressor. I slipped the business end through the window crank hole and went to town. Held the appropriate dolley on the opposing side. Then once the majority of the dent was worked out, finished with heat and by hand hammering from the outside, holding dollies inside the door.

The dents were very deep and the metal very stretched. I'm pretty pleased with the result as the metal is good [no rust] so re skinning was avoided.

I'll lead fill the hammer marks and small imperfections next, which you guys might also like to see. Have a good night, -Matt
    Haverford Pennsylvania