Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Can a 914 be competitive in Historics?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Webster View Post
    There is Rene in SA that runs a stupidly quick Karmann, however I know that is 2.4 litres.

If you were able to get away with a smaller capacity but use his knowledge you could build a weapon. That thing of his used to burn off V8's!!

He could drive too!
    I naturally follow a path within rules... Whenever I step outside the rules I get caught I started many years ago with VW Beetles (didn't we all!) and I hung with a few guys that built amazing 4-bangers, so I know there's HP out there, but I'm conscious that the historic rules preclude building them that way.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    But I like to be a little different hence the 914 bent
    I hear you John, nothing wrong with being difference. Even a 914/6 would be good in Sc under 2 litres (Sca). How much do they weight? They can run 205/60/15 tyres and has webbers. Should give the Alfettas a run for their money

http://www.cams.com.au/Sport/Histori...%20-%20Sc.ashx

That is funny, I am pretty sure that the dodgey black and white photo of the 914 was mine! I had a 914 2.0 74 model, and it had mini lite wheels, and a painted the grills white! I ran it a few time in hill climbs and I think the shot there was taken Arthur's Seat Hill Climb around 1999/2000.
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

Alex,

I know a good legal guy on this board he's into patents but I am sure he can help you if you want to take up copyright issue with CAMS

John - plan B

Just think of how much weight you could remove...

http://www.cams.com.au/en/Sport/Hist...%20-%20Sc.ashx
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

was going to ask how competitive would a 4.5 v8 would be in Sc

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post
    John - plan B

Just think of how much weight you could remove...

http://www.cams.com.au/en/Sport/Hist...%20-%20Sc.ashx
    Plan B was certainly an option... After the floods up here last year, someone was trying to off-load a water inundated 928 write-off for $1000 and had the rare 5-speed manual. There is a LOT of leather, sound deadener and wiring to toss... The downs side is the limited stuff you can do with camshafts because of K-Jet induction.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

John,

First of all you are starting at a relative high base ~230bhp. Second of all talk to Spencer Harrison he runs very wild camshafts on his k-jet Carrera 3.
    The 2 main thing would be can you get the weight down and will 225/50/16 tyres cope with the v8 power.

The 928 is a fat, fat car... A beautiful GT in the true sense. I think to get the weight down, you'd be sailing close to wind with regards to "road trim"

I went onto My105 last night and it's hard to get past MGs all set up, with trailers, for $30k! My dad was very good with Fiats/Lancias in his day and a worked Spyder would still be cool...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

I too think that a good 928 set up well could be a good option. I have stripped out a 928 before, and you could run lightweight interiors pretty easily.

From memory there was one that I saw in regularity years ago. There is also the red one of Laurie's that he ran and it was super quick but heavily modified.

The manual can be a little heavy (I should know I drove one for years) but they have heaps of torque.

The biggest issue is spoilers, as the early cars did not have front or rear spoilers, and when the get up in speed, they tend to take off if you don't have a front one.

power wise I am sure you could get PLENTY out of it - they were always set up to be a mild V8 and I am sure it could be set up to be a lot more aggressive, especially with regard to the headers/mufflers etc.

They are already light in the body panels

No to mention the weight you could pull out of the glass alone in the rear - that rear lid weights a tonne!! Window winders instead of electric. I reckon you could get it down from the 1547kg to around 1400 or thereabouts. Remember a Pantera was only about 100kg lighter to start with.
    Last edited by Alex Webster; 01-18-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster