Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Other' Car . . .

Big Miles = Big Love

. . . passing 275k mi

('TMU,' actually . . .

. . . odo 's out for about two months, so . . . )

After 11 yrs/270k-some mi of faithful service, my Every Day needed some attention . . .

. . . meaning money. Brakes + pads already went in, last Fall. Alternator, too. But then the motor went off --- had it re-built/zero-timed, back in January. Which pretty-much killed all kinds of stuff . . . Pebble, Rennsport, Alaska . . . . . a house

Not-to-mention pretty-d@mn inconvenient car-wise --- considering all the other stuff that a quarter-million mile car needs after a quarter-century on the road . . .

. . . like tires

I'd held-off as long as I could, got down to the wear bars, then had to replace. Unlike my cars, I throw tires away, so . . . I don't get too attached to 'em. Been running all-seasons for a while now --- not very sexy, maybe . . . but I don't worry about weather/conditions, either. (Actually --- when it rains? . . . I speed up) Anyway, last two sets were Yokohama Avid Envigors which I picked 'cause they have an astronomical wear-rating. Actually, they're harder that donkey dung = ~40k mi of woo-hoo. Course, they ride like, well --- donkey dung, as well, so . . . w/ this latest set, I decided to switch back to an old/cheap/more-comfortable (!) favorite: Firestone Firehawks

Anyone remember the 'Firehawk' Racing Series?

Cue the crickets, please

Anyway, the 'Stones may not have the 'stick' of the Yokis --- or the life-expectancy . . . but/then again I can stop worrying about all that precision molded quarter-century-old German plastic in my interior threatening to come-off at every expansion joint. And the car slides-around again, too, like . . . kindova LOT, actually. I think of it as a speed governor

Cheap, too. ~$700 for the set, incl disposal + N-fill + road hazard + Dealer prep + options

Soooo --- w/ my Every Day now running a fresh motor + riding somewhat smoother --- + me feeling somewhat solvent . . . I went out and did something that I've never done . . . not in 40-years of owning/driving/fixing cars . . . not to mention the million-or-so miles that I've inflicted on them . . .

. . . I bought an after-market exhaust --- specifically . . .

. . . a Supersprint cat-back

Been eye-balling this exact system for years, but I was still a little anxious about, well . . . everything. Would it fit? How would it be to install? How would it sound? Cost me more than the tires, actually. But/then-again . . . I expect the exhaust to stay around a whole-LOT longer. Anyway/as it turned out, I had to wait a coupla weeks for the stuff to even arrive --- 'made in Italy' . . . so I got more anxious about what the whole thing even looked like when it got here. 4-cyl e30s are like A-cups, here/in SoCal . . . = extinct. Never actually seen a car w/ this set-up. Just pictures. On-line

Well --- the thing . . .
    ..1) arrived early
    ..2) looked beautiful
    ..3) took all-of-15 min to install
    ..4) fit perfectly
    ..5) sounds wonderful

Couldn't be more pleased
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-28-2015 at 10:29 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

We put 3 cars away every winter including my wife's 911.
    For her commute, which is over 100 miles each way, I need a bulletproof car that
    can be left anywhere without worry and gets good MPG..
    Doesn't attract attention Cheap, since we will kill it with miles.
    My garage is unheated so I don't want to be out in the cold messing with
    issues. If her car doesn't run, she takes my truck and I'm the one left dealing with
    finding a way to get around.
    Last year she bought a new Honda Fit CVT. Base Model 15,500.00 NEW... it averages 43 mpg
    on summer tires. Timing Chain, no belt. Rear View Camera and Bluetooth. It just turned
    1 year old and around 25,000 miles already. I only open the hood to fill the washer fluid.
    The gas savings alone from her Audi Quattro almost pay for it. Not fast or flashy...
    Just runs... Pretty much a disposable car.. When it dies or costs too much on repairs,
    Buy another new one... It works well for us.....

I love BMWs! I've always wanted a 2002!!! But my other "car" is this... The last of the 5.9 Cummins Dodge. 5" turbo back and a tune. It will haze the tires from a roll if you mash on it! That's something to be said for a 7,000 truck! 125K on the clock.

72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Quote Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
    I love BMWs! I've always wanted a 2002!!! But my other "car" is this... The last of the 5.9 Cummins Dodge. 5" turbo back and a tune. It will haze the tires from a roll if you mash on it! That's something to be said for a 7,000 truck! 125K on the clock.

I've bought 2 Dodge Ram Diesels new.. Both were nightmares. Great engine, unfortunately everything around it was made by Dodge. Destroyed transmissions, transfer cases, brake rotors must have been made of tin foil. Leaf springs fell out, gas sending units failed every few months. Kept them till the extended warranties expired.
    There is a reason Dodge is now offering lifetime warranties.. $45,000 truck in the shop regularly.

W124s for me. The wagons are cavernous.
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

I wanted something pretty quick, but that fly under the radar, not ostentatious and I needed to be able to park it at the airport and not worry too much about it. Settled on a golf R, mk6, fairly bulletproof and tunable 2.0 turbo, now at 330hp with some minor upgrades, AWD in case a snow storm hits and I need to get home from the airport, parts and labor are very reasonable and it's a blast to drive....the hatch holds a lot of gear, too.

IMG_0832.jpg
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Why I Love e30s . . .

. . . 682k to go

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf_025 View Post
    I've bought 2 Dodge Ram Diesels new.. Both were nightmares. Great engine, unfortunately everything around it was made by Dodge. Destroyed transmissions, transfer cases, brake rotors must have been made of tin foil. Leaf springs fell out, gas sending units failed every few months. Kept them till the extended warranties expired.
    There is a reason Dodge is now offering lifetime warranties.. $45,000 truck in the shop regularly.
    You must be hard on your stuff!!! I have 350K on one, 225K on another, and 150 on another. One auto transmission, one clutch, one injector pump. Combined mileage I have been towed once. All the electronics work fine and the A/C will run you out.

Not sure what your purpose by your post other than to run down Dodge and owners like my self. Prick!
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

. . .

We Can Be Heroes

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    These are my other cars. I drive the red BGT as my daily driver, but my fav is the Mini for sure.
    IMG_0397.jpgWP_20160205_004.jpgSexy Red 1.jpg
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407