Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMO carbs on stock 964 3.6 engine

PMO carbs on stock 964 3.6 engine

Looking for some advice on my car: as it is a '72 s with a nice story and a big part still original paint I don't want to touch the body at all. I have 8" and 9" Fuchs and via this forum found Harry in Germany (close by Belgium) who will make me a set of rsr Fuchs (9" to the front and 8" widened to 11") - meanwhile I have a set of braids with TB's. Suspension wise I am thinking about kw or ohlins coilovers, it has 930 brakes.
    It was converted to coilovers some time ago but there seems to be a fitment issue on the front as coils touch the body so that negative camber is not possible.
    I will try to get some pictures on here, maybe someone knows those coilovers, can't find a brand on them...
    The dilemma is on the engine: I could go back to rsr spec 2.8 or 3.0 and 917 brakes etc, but I am afraid that the total cost will be to high to still drive and enjoy the car, and that it won't be very streetable (I will not track it - it will be a weekend hotrod). It came with a 964 3.6 - 0km when installed - but I don't like the modern look, when you open the hood and see the engine it is a let down to me. So I thought of keeping the engine stock, but with (46?) PMO carbs, a amber engine shroud etc to give it a real cool look. Are there members running this engine set-up? Hp lost with the carbs? Throttle response comparable with itb?
    The itb route is to expensive for me on a not period correct engine... hope to have some feedback to finally decide which way to go...
    Some pictures of the car: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=1#post1019948
    Cheers, Nico
    Last edited by nico55; 08-05-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Hi...the link to your car doesn't work. Hoping this replacement will suffice.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=1#post1019948
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    “Original paint”...

good one.

Always liked the idea, but it's rare enough that you almost never hear it mentioned. When all is said and done, a modified fan design for a straight blade type, and removal of ac unit, if possible.

Yes it seems rare, found this engine on bring a trailer a while ago: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/3-...porsche-motor/
    I really liked the idea, but then with a full stock 3.6. I only find info on itb conversions for the 964/993 engines, I know it is modern, hi-tech, better fuel consumption etc... but never found feedback on a carb conversion for street use.

Quote Originally Posted by nico55 View Post
    I really liked the idea, but then with a full stock 3.6. I only find info on itb conversions for the 964/993 engines, I know it is modern, hi-tech, better fuel consumption etc... but never found feedback on a carb conversion for street use.
    One reason for this may have something to do with a 3.6 in confines and choice of 'supertuners', where the whole car is gone over, given a new brand, or signature, with very high costs associated. A carb'd version would defeat the whole purpose of rebadging, with an absence of bells and whistles, that hi-tech offers.

I still think you're onto something...which on it's own, is outstanding.

Banned
    One of the main benefits of EFI is spark control.

Over 11:1 compression on 91 octane with this configuration sounds like a very bad idea. Especially given the completely incorrect dome shape of the piston for carbs.

Also having my doubts on those dyno numbers.

I sure don't have the same knowledge or experience as people like Frank Beck above but I have seen a few people running them with carbs. They don't seem to have any problems. We've got some guys that drive up from Monterey Mexico to run with us in the annual Texas Hill Country Rallye. They make the drive up and back as well as flogging them pretty hard through our winding roads.

I remember reading something about the larger displacement engines being able to run higher compression ratios on pump gas than the earlier small displacement engines.

Found a car with this set-up: http://dempseymotorsports.com/porsche-911-rsr/
    In Belgium we have 98 octane pump gas, so should be ok?
    To be honest I have no technical knowledge myself, I am just looking for a "budget friendly" hotrod engine, all the tech work is done by my brother but he wasn't very enthousiastic about the carb route so double checking on the forum, but if I understand it good the owner of the green rsr liked this 3.6 pmo setup very much?