Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering selling late fathers restored, matching numbers 1967 911s. Need help.

Beautiful car I think you'll regret selling it for a 993!
    My buddy has a 993 don't get me wrong it's a nice car, a 408 hp go cart. It's like the 930's everyone talks about, you can't drive them the way they should be driven without losing your licence. The 67s is such an iconic car and your fathers car looks amazing, a testament to him every time you drive it.
    Looks like 200k to me, wish I could afford it, 300k or more Canadian!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Registry #1777

Cheaper to keep her. I'd sell the hot-rod engine and any parts that aren't original to the car and hold. A 993 will never equal the experience of a SWB 911.

Alois Ruf said it best in this video: (pick up @5:30)

"The 500 horsepower we use today feel different to the 130 we drove at that time... "The extra weight... the 60% more weight is not really compensated by the extra horsepower because there is no compensation for extra weight". There is nothing better than saving weight in an automobile.

"Driving my own pants"

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I agree - If possible, I say keep your jewel

Tim S. : What a special car your '67 is !! Although I understand many of the downsides to keeping her, I must agree with others. If possible, I say don't part with her.

I could go on and on with many reasons to keep your '67. But after reading your reservations wrt to the risk of driving such a valuable car, I'll just offer these points:

1. You dad wisely took steps not to irreversibly affect the originality of car by preserving the original engine. If you feel compelled to sell, that will be very difficult, if not impossible, to reverse in the future.

2. Your reservation about driving it can be addressed by simply making sure you're adequately insured, so that if the unthinkable ever happens, you're covered. At that juncture you can look at it as finally consummating the "sale" you contemplate now.

3. I also agree 100% that the experience of driving an older, lightweight sports car, like the early S, is unmatched by any new car.

Which ever way you go, best luck.
    Bob Schaefer

‘67 911S Canary/Lemon yellow, sunroof coupe produced w/100L tank. Until determined otherwise, 306943S appears to be 1 of 1, and among the earliest 911’s with a 100L tank. The 911’s initial participation in a competitive event, the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, was fitted with a 100L tank (#300055). Seeking additional info on earliest 100L tank fitments to 911’s.

‘70 914/6 (2.7l RS spec engine, but searching for 6404915 original)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Tim,
    Keep the car if you can but I'm sure your wife has her reasons for wanting to sell it.
    I'm sure this quite controversial especially in American culture, but I would never listen to a woman concerning car purchases or sales.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

Quote Originally Posted by juche_namja View Post
    I'm sure this quite controversial especially in American culture, but I would never listen to a woman concerning car purchases or sales.
    Uhhhhh ......... No comment
    Bob Schaefer

‘67 911S Canary/Lemon yellow, sunroof coupe produced w/100L tank. Until determined otherwise, 306943S appears to be 1 of 1, and among the earliest 911’s with a 100L tank. The 911’s initial participation in a competitive event, the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, was fitted with a 100L tank (#300055). Seeking additional info on earliest 100L tank fitments to 911’s.

‘70 914/6 (2.7l RS spec engine, but searching for 6404915 original)

Quote Originally Posted by juche_namja View Post
    To the contrary - my wife has given me excellent advice on both purchasing and selling cars. I've sold many cars where she said don't sell - I should have listened.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    To the contrary - my wife has given me excellent advice on both purchasing and selling cars. I've sold many cars where she said don't sell - I should have listened.

Phil
    I couldn't agree more Phil.
    When a man picks a great wife this is to be expected.

Sounds like you may not have had this experience Jim? (Although... maybe sometime we should have a beer and discuss the tragic fallout of the current American egalitarian mindset.)

Thank you to all that replied and shared info on my post. There are no external forces telling me to sell car etc which is nice. My wife is very supportive about me keeping the car, she knows the history and meaning of it (we drove the 911 on our wedding day matter of fact). At this time sinking a ton of money into the original engine/trans is not really and option for me. I knew all along to get top dollar for the car original engine/trans need to be sorted and in place to sell (I just wanted to hear from others). I need to get out of the mindset of being scared to drive the car and enjoy the thing. My pops was a no bullshit guy (see tattoo haha). If he was alive he would tell me to drive the shit out of it but he would also sell it too haha.
    Pic of me and him working on it

My sense is it will stay in the family. Great story.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I'm going to offer a counterpoint to all those saying to keep the car as a momento. I've told my wife to unload all of my car stuff the the day after I die. We have plenty of memories without the need for a relic in the garage. These cars are/were my passion. Not hers, not my kids. Nothing would make me happier than for them to convert my hobby into dollars that would help fund something important in their lives. An education, down payment for a house, etc.