Page 71 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

May, 2014

Highlights this month . . .

Biggest Item = The Big Tank . . .

Actually/finally took a look at it, installed in The Nasty Car. Rolly told me that he'd loaned it out to someone, at one point . . . and that they'd split-off/re-painted the top --- to make a pattern . . . before returning it. Not exactly an 'original' finish, any more --- and I'd mentioned it to Tony + Marco . . . but they didn't say anything. And I didn't mind . . . 'as long as it holds gas' kinda-thing, so . . .

The funny thing was what happened w/The Original. While 1059 was in for service, Tony + Marco had two other cars in their shop --- all with their gas tanks out. So, when it came time to pick-up The Nasty Car, Marco asks me . . .

'. . . You picked-up your old gas tank --- didn't you? . . .'

'Uhhh . . . nope. You Guys have it'

So, what happened to-? . . . you guessed it. 'Restored'

John laughed about it. Me, too. What sucks is . . . I don't think that I have any really decent/full-on shots of what The Original looked like 'before.' I thought it was semi-matt grey, but . . .

Anyway, everything's in + working fine, although I haven't done much driving. But I expect to change that, shortly. Porsche Club of America's having their 'Parade' up in Monterey, in two weeks, so . . .

Only planning to attend one day --- the Monday, 16-Jun, for the Concours . . . for now. And-uh --- we'll be in the parking lot, thank you

Meanwhile, 1059 continues running most-excellently. Marco asked me, at the last service, how she was doing, and I said . . . 'fine.' Really. If I didn't know the car was MFI'd? --- I couldn't tell. Starts/runs/behaves like a regular car

Marco says the motors's tired, but . . . I couldn't tell. With her newly restored/accurate tach, seems that we fizz along at ~3500 pretty-much all the time. 1059 is no drag racer --- and 1st is still as deliberate/conscious a thing to try to engage, as ever . . . but once we're moving along in 2nd + >3500 . . . The Nasty Car feels soooooo capable. And I have to make a real effort to keep the revs down. This little car is all about the throttle, too --- don't do a lotta shifting . . . or braking, for that matter. Don't need to. Car just oozes along on her engine. And that's one place where high-compression really makes itself felt: @>4000? --- one twitch, one little push, just a whisper of throttle --- and the car just snaps. Not a big-torque/tire-spinning kinda thing, either. Or a lotta drama . . . more like a really-really big/tight rubber band letting go: first, I'm here, then --sssnaaAAP---------------> I'm there. Real heady stuff, too --- irresistable. I'll catch myself trolling along at 5000+ --- in city traffic, fercryinoutloud . . . just waiting/hoping/aching for a reason/opportunity to feel that rush, crack that whip

First Thing that I notice, driving 1059 --- after driving almost any other car . . . is how sharp her engine + throttle feel. Just taking her down the street in 2nd gear --- 3500-4500 . . . feels so precise, I can practically index the revs, 100 rpm at a time, off the tach . . . and feel the car flinch at every one. It takes some concentration to keep things smooth . . . but that's the satisfaction. I mean --- sitting in that seat, looking-out over those 5 gauges and between those two fenders, feeling that engine spinning/humming/tensing . . .

Good thing I gotta Big Tank . . .

. . . until I have to fill it, anyway

And I'll top-off before I head up to the Parade . . . but I'm betting that we can do the round-trip on one fill

1) 'Restored.' John said it started-out as a real nice tank, too

2) If someone didn't tell you that there was another 12 gallons of tank down there . . . then you'd never know. Spare wedges into that pass-side well = no straps, etc

3) Underneath = can't tell

4) Minus everything. All the original carpets fit 'good enough.' At some point, I'll have a bag-o'-some-kind made up to hold the spare . . .

5) Tah-daaaah!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-06-2014 at 04:15 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More May, 2014 . . .

1) Another view

2) thru 5) Hey! --- while I'm here . . . ya know?

Let's face it --- I may not be here again for years!

We Can Be Heroes

Monsieur Jean-Pierre Oberson

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . Regarding Mr Siffert's 2nd dealership . . .

. . . Histoire du Garage Nicoli R. Sàrl

. . . Au printemps 1972, Madame Siffert décida de remettre les deux exploitations de son défunt mari au mécanicien de ce dernier, Monsieur Jean-Pierre Oberson, qui les reprit sous la nouvelle raison sociale ‘’Garage Inter-sport SA’’ . . .

. . . Nous remercions Monsieur Jean-Pierre Oberson de nous avoir raconté l’histoire du garage . . .

From Google Translate . . .

. . . The spring of 1972 , Ms. Siffert decided to put the two farms of her late husband the mechanic of the latter, Mr. Jean -Pierre Oberson , who went under the new name '' Inter- Sport SA Garage '' . . .

. . . We thank Jean- Pierre Oberson us telling the story garage . . .

http://www.garage-nicoli.ch/index.php?id=40

. . .

As I was glancing through 'A French Kiss with Death,' again --- looking for another picture . . . I came across this one, on p279 . . .

Jean-Pierre Oberson --- the same Guy that bought Mr Siffert's Fribourg dealership . . . was also one of his mechanics ---

--- at the filming of 'Le Mans'

At some point, I may tax The Racer Derek Bell's memory --- about the 'gravel races' at Solar Village

But I'm wondering what a Mechanic would remember . . . about what cars were there + who was driving them . . .

. . . and not just at Le Mans . . .

. . . but maybe back @Fribourg? . . .

. . . maybe even back at @certain auction, held in Spring '72?

!!!

PS Back row of cars, 2nd from right = 911R, VIN = 11899004R

We Can Be Heroes

Don't forget the gauges are dated as are the wheels. Sorry about the tank...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . Sorry about the tank . . .
    Don't be

I always appreciate how much care you Guys lavish on that Nasty Car

Call it 'reverse entropy,' My Friend . . . 1059 can't help but get better

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    . . . Little known fact: Siffert was sometimes referred to as "Duct Tape Jo" . . .
    Huh . . . go figure . . . .

We Can Be Heroes

2014 Jun

Went to the Porsche Club of America’s 2014 Parade, in Monterey, CA . . . Monday, 16-June . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...CA-Parade-2014

All kinds o' motivations for going

1) Haven’t been to a Parade in, oh . . . . 20 years. PCA is a huge organization, but --- and this is not a bash/rant/etc . . . . from the few PCA Dealios that I’ve attended over the years? . . . let’s just say that IIIIIIIIIII don’t exactly have a lot in common w/ The Average PCAer. Not around here, anyway. Not 20 years ago --- when I had a 356. And not today. And that’s not PCA’s issue

That’s mine

So --- going to The Parade . . . was all about cars. Lots + lots o’ 'em

2) It’s close-by. Relatively, anyway. ~300 miles/4-5 hours . . . if one is conscious. This is kinda the tail-end of Spring, here in SoCal . . . and the weather can get hot. Not my favorite. So, spending a day, driving up The 101 to be on the coast w/ a bunch o’ My Favorite Cars?

Uhhhh . . . I can do that!

3) Excelllent opportunity to ‘test’ the Big Tank, check fuel economy/range. Let’s face it --- w/ the modest amount of driving that I normally do w/ 1059 . . . especially around town/in traffic --- maintenance miles, really . . . it could take a while to burn-off/thru a tank, so? . . .

. . . The Last/Best Reason is --- of course . . .

4). . . drive The Nasty Car!

5) Besides . . . I’ve kinda been outta work since January, so . . . . what else ‘ve I got to do?

And nothing builds my self-confidence/enhances my self-esteem --- like a Drive

Preparations? Exhaustive
    Sponge-bath, Sunday = bucket o’ water + super-cloth x 1.5 hours + stuff on the tires + de-bug the windshield. Cooler w/ munchies + drinkies. Map. And I made a little sign, to leave on the dash . . . small print

Plan? Uhhhh . . . go?
    According to The Parade web-site, cars could start going out on the lawn @06:00, so? . . . subtract 5 hours = ETD = 01:00

The Drive? ditto, ditto
    I have no idea what happened --- musta got caught-up in some TV show Sunday night . . . but, anyway --- ended-up going to bed ~22:30. I was already all pumped-up about going, anyway, so --- my eyes were closed, but . . . I didn’t sleep . . . at least, not that I can remember. Same for showering, kiss good-bye, leaving

I did tank-up, though. Took a picture = happened

I love/prefer to drive at night. Less traffic/distractions = easier/better progress. Took The 101 North, + 1st few hours went by fine. But somewhere around the rest area @Camp Roberts/200 miles out . . . I took a siesta. Pulled-in/parked-up/zonked-out

75 min later . . . back on the road

Arrived at The Parade Concours venue @6:30, and . . . .

. . . couldn’t get in

. . . name’s not on The List . . .

‘At’s what I get for registering late. Near as I can figure out, even though I’d received an e-mail confirmation . . . there was the small matter of paying in order to seal the deal. Which I guessed/figured that I could pay at the site?

I guessed/figured wrong

And that’s not PCA’s problem --- etc, etc . . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Manhattan Material? . . .

. . . . not!

This is for you, Mike (aka friggens)!

We Can Be Heroes

What is the color of your car? Thanks Casey its beautiful!

More Manhattan Material . . .

. . . . sooooooooo not!

Goofy door pouches . . . witch's hair wiring + fossilized co-co mats . . . rodents! . . . rubbed-through paint on the glove box . . .

. . . . and the wrong d@mn door seals over scuffed-up thresholds

We Can Be Heroes