Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 67S seats - which ones are correct?

67S seats - which ones are correct?

Hi all,

I have turned my genuine 67S RHD race car back into a road car.

In the final stages now and ready to trim the car, and seats have been a question that I simply can't find the right answer to.

I have what I believe are the later seats (post 69), and have a stack of 356 seats, but don't think they are right either.

Can anyone please give me some easy identifiers as to what I need to put in the car to be correct..... please!!!

Pictures probably will make life easier - so thank you again in advance.

Will post pictures of the car once complete I promise
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

There are numerous threads on 67 seats. Just do a search and you should have plenty of info.
    On the other hand, why don't you post pictures of what you have? They can be positively IDd by myself or many other members, familiar with seats.

Regards

Jim

optional headrests attach to BACK of seat not top of tombstone (if there)
    no buttons on hinges nor raised circles (356-style) over spring-- just flat sides
    drivers side doesn't lock, passenger side locks
    gray plastic covers over springs (not black)
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

The pictures posted by John Binion depict proper (LHD) 67 seats with headrests. Those seats are the same for 66 and 67. RHD cars have seat back locks on the left hand seat as opposed to all the other Porsches that have the seat back lock on the right hand seat. Finding the proper locking hinge for the left seat in your car is not that difficult, though. Just look for a left hand seat hinge set from a 68 911 or 912 and change the plastic backing from it's black colored one to a beige one from an earlier seat. I should also add to 304065's post about the difference in 356 vs 911 seats. 1965 356C seat hinges look just like early 911 seat hinges. In fact they are exactly the same except for a very minor difference inside the hinge and it is not visible from the outside.
    To answer your question about fitment of seats. You are correct. LWB 911 seats will not fit properly in a SWB car. LWB seats have the seat adjuster levers on the inside of the seat and use different tracks than SWB seats. Lwb seats can be identified by looking at the hinges, also. LWB seats have 2 screws that attach the hinge to the seat back while SWB seats have 3 screws. The underside of the seat bottom on LWB seats are solid metal where as SWB seats have 2 large openings that expose the springs and are covered with burlap. 356 (1962 through 1965) seats look very much like SWB 911 seats and use the same tracks as SWB seats. 356 seats are a bit narower than SWB seats, though. 356 seat tracks are approximately 16 1/2" apart (center to center) and SWB tracks are approximately 18" apart. Holy crap, this post is getting long and boring. I will just add some pictures and if you have any questions, we can address them later. The pictures are of a SWB and a 356 seat bottom. One more way to tell the difference without a tape measure is to look at the adjuster lever. SWB seats have a smooth lever and the plastic knob just slides on. 356 seats have a threaded lever and the knob screws on.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 10-08-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Alex, I sold my SWB seats to Nick T... I don't think he's using them, might be worth giving him a call?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all the info.

I can now see that I might have to find some bits. Fishcop I will call Nick now.

Will come back with some more questions if I have them.

Thank you!
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

Alex

I have these,
    NOS? Not cheap.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    Alex

I have these,
    NOS? Not cheap.

Regards
    Mike
    No fair gloating!

Regards

Jim

Dear John,

are the bucket seats for sale?

Sincerely

giorgio s ballotta

Alex, if you follow jim breazeale's advice, you will be fine.