Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: you're 17...were u driving dad's car?.....post a pic of the model

You guys are all old timers. Young whippersnappers like me were Rollin phat!!!
    Check out this baby. 1987 Dodge Caravan
    800px-'87-'88_Dodge_Grand_Caravan.jpg
    Lost my virginity in the backseat of that thing. Those were the days. That's the only real memory I have of that car.
    I didn't have a picture of the car back then. It was a little prettier than this one but the same color. It was after all only a couple years old.
    I should probably also add that I was so embarrassed of this car that I refuse to park it in the school parking lot in case somebody would see me getting out of it. In fact I'd park across the street and down a couple blocks just to make sure and avoid anybody. My sister got better grades, so she got the 79.5 Cobra Mustang turbo. Silver and black with a orange and red Cobra on the hood.
    Last edited by Gearby; 04-19-2018 at 09:39 PM.

1971 FJ40 in light green
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    My first "car"...'55 Ford F-100...that's me on the left...sold a bike and bought it for $350...junior in high school..about 1978l. One day, I will have one again.
    Same for me and bought the same year!

I paid $1,000 though. Mine had a 390 cobra jet engine, tunnel ram and Mickey Thompson’s on it. And was candy apple red!

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    1971 FJ40 in light green
    geeeez!...too cool too cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    My first "car"...'55 Ford F-100...that's me on the left...sold a bike and bought it for $350...junior in high school..about 1978l. One day, I will have one again.
    cool........this is Fooses' dads
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Alfa Romeo Guilietta 2.0 - metallic brown - cork interior. My first (high) speeding ticket 2 days after I passed my driving licence.... My father was a policeman and he did not want to hear about that....
    images.jpg
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Same for me and bought the same year!

I paid $1,000 though. Mine had a 390 cobra jet engine, tunnel ram and Mickey Thompson’s on it. And was candy apple red!
    Would love to see it! Mine was green, yellow, primer grey...but mostly green. And it still had the 290 Y-Block.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Learned to drive in a '48 Willys Overland Jeepster when I was 10... PGA Blvd was shellrock, called Monet Road back then. My father had bought it for $50 from a junkyard and restored it for my older siblings to drive to school. I did too. Talked him into swapping a 289 HiPo before it got to me. Fun for school or the beach but pretty uncomfortable. I wanted something of my own.

ec8034ace4534dc35a00bdb525d31b0e--jeep-stuff-car-stuff.jpg

My first car could have been a tired '64 Cobra but I only had $2000 saved and my father wouldn't loan me $1500 to buy a "foreign" sports car. I pined for that thing... came home from school a week later to find a poppy-red '65 Mustang GT parked in the swale. "It's yours if you want it, $1500 cash". One of the young engineers in his department at Pratt & Whitney had moved up to FF and needed money for his SCCA dreams. Prepped by Holman & Moody with every trick you'd want for B Production: seriously built 289, TC-10, suspension, staggered Konis, Z-bar, radiused wheel wells, front discs and AR mags with Goodyears. To my 16 year old fantasies it was better than a Shelby. Plus he saved me 500 bucks! "Don't ball it up" he warned. Never did, but got into trouble with the local constabulary a couple of times for "excessive noise".

65 Mustang H&M.jpg

It was fast, loud and handled great, a terrific car. Made me suspicious the first time he happily swapped me his '67 Lincoln when I had a date night... pretty sure he was making passes at PBIR Dragstrip before going into the office. P&W was (still is) right across the road.
    But, but... date night in a Lincoln? Whenever I wanted?!? Thanks pops!

67 Lincoln.jpg

Anyway, the GT was stolen not long after my 17th birthday and I bought a low mileage '67 Austin Healy BJ8 Mk III for just $1200. Dad did not approve of it OR my ever longer hair and fashion choices. Moved out of the house before turning 18 without regrets. The first of several British cars I had before finding true religion.

Austin Healey .jpg

Amazingly, pics almost exactly like my teenage chariots.
    Last edited by Bullethead; 04-12-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Here I am in 1989 posing before the prom with the car I learned to drive on, my dad's '74 2002tii.

I would kill to have ANY of that hair back (or that waistline for that matter).

Learned to drive my first manual in dad's Morgan Plus 4 in the early 60's

MORGAN.jpg