Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 300096

and the tow hook

3344/4029
    Attached Images Attached Images  

question answered
    and 300113

one pic is stolen from the manual and shows no hole the shape of the fuel tank makes me think its a proto.

6916 3670/5097

restoration is in full swing but i have not found time do do a propper update.sorry about that.

some questions have arisen and surely will arise.
    and in order to reach the right guys i will post my questions that are related to this project here.

knowing from previous projects that the original material inside the silencer(rock wool?) does not survive acid dip.
    will the material inside mareks repops? if so i could finish body work completely and then do the dip and dip coating.

if not i need to find a minimally invasive way to restuff the tube.(dont like the idea of welding after dip coating so much)
    or find material that does survive the dip...replace mareks material prior welding the tube in and bingo....

i`m sure some guys out there have done it and can report.

without the wool and the heater slides open it pretty much sounds like if you are sitting inside the engine compartment.

some may wonder why i did not go for acid dip prior starting the body work...did not do it because it would have destroyed all remaining original paint/sealing/sound deadening etc. and any other traces that i am pretty much interested in. archaeologists also dont use the big excavator first and then look whats left in the debris

attached a few pics of what has been done inside the rocker and pics of the current status ...floor is done,nose is done(minus a few things i can only do once the rocker/sill/a-pillar is done...)so far no reproduction parts used....
    i know it all looks a bit dirty and nasty but once dipped it will look fine

3882/5371

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    restoration is in full swing but i have not found time do do a propper update.sorry about that.

some questions have arisen and surely will arise.
    and in order to reach the right guys i will post my questions that are related to this project here.

knowing from previous projects that the original material inside the silencer(rock wool?) does not survive acid dip.
    will the material inside mareks repops? if so i could finish body work completely and then do the dip and dip coating.

if not i need to find a minimally invasive way to restuff the tube.(dont like the idea of welding after dip coating so much)
    or find material that does survive the dip...replace mareks material prior welding the tube in and bingo....

i`m sure some guys out there have done it and can report.

without the wool and the heater slides open it pretty much sounds like if you are sitting inside the engine compartment.

some may wonder why i did not go for acid dip prior starting the body work...did not do it because it would have destroyed all remaining original paint/sealing/sound deadening etc. and any other traces that i am pretty much interested in. archaeologists also dont use the big excavator first and then look whats left in the debris

attached a few pics of what has been done inside the rocker and pics of the current status ...floor is done,nose is done(minus a few things i can only do once the rocker/sill/a-pillar is done...)so far no reproduction parts used....
    i know it all looks a bit dirty and nasty but once dipped it will look fine

3882/5371
    not sure if this will work but

0.375" 12" 12" increments Stainless Steel Wool, priced per foot MU-SSW375 $ 9.90

you can get it here

http://www.coneeng.com

they should have SOMETHING
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by CDOUGLEHMAN View Post
    not sure if this will work but

0.375" 12" 12" increments Stainless Steel Wool, priced per foot MU-SSW375 $ 9.90

you can get it here

http://www.coneeng.com

they should have SOMETHING
    hmmm never thought about steel wool---sure it will work.
    but i hope i can find something closer to the original .
    thanks for your input

want to fabricate a tool to press those indentions in a NOS rocker panel.
    can anyone post/or pm/email a pic/measurements of the encircled area.

i was always wondering why i did not notice those on restoration pics so today i went trough all the 64 pics i have... now i think those rocker indents are not really visible (once the rubber sill trim is removed).
    on the bare metal pics i have it appears they are not present or filled with lead.
    attached a few pics of 300113,136 and 191
    anyone can confirm this?

help needed

can anyone please take the pictured measurement from an unrestored 64 or 65.
    i think its the ~11,5cm one but want to have it confirmed.
    all swb i have in house eighter have this section rotten or already replaced.

thanks much

and to give some information back to the comunity.
    the top one on the right pic is the one porsche reissued recently..better done than any other repops on the market
    but incorrect in small details.
    this cutout is incorrect. and
    the main edge radia(below the door) is slightly softer (easy to make sharper) but still far,far better than the dansk crap

3941/5995

something closer to this:
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    something closer to this:
    thank you Bob...
    also interesting to see that the jack reciever tube is slightly shorter than on later cars.

and an other detail i noticed is the support ... 67 still have the early version 70 already the new one

if you have a later style spare you can convert it simply by hammering...just did today