Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Beam Headlights above Front Bumper?

High Beam Headlights above Front Bumper?

I received my COA from Porsche a few weeks back & that is how they're described. They haven't worked since I bought the car, but I always wondered why I couldn't find a switch for them??

Has anyone seen or heard of this? I've heard them described as "thru the horn grill driving lights", and the red book I have lists two similar options as follows:

"#9420 Long range driving lamps, above the bumper mount"
    "#9421 Fog lamps, above the bumper mount"

Based on what the COA says & the absence of a separate switch, I suspect that they turn on / off with the high beam switch.

Any insight would be appreciated.

The car is a 69 911E soft window targa.

Thanks,

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Being no expert on '69s I can only relate my experience with fogs on a '72 and '73. The switch you are refering to appears between the cigar lighter and the rear window defroster switch. There may be a dummy opening to the right or left of what you have. You probably can order it through aftermarket.

Also the switch is relayed with your highbeams. Since it was not original equipment, you may want to add a relay.

There are many 69 experts out there who will do doubt chime in, but thought I would get the ball rolling. (or I could be completely wrong and all you need to do is add a relay to your highbeam wire, and make the rest of the connections....)
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick,
    Can you show me a pic of that switch?
    Mike

No switch

Aux high beams have no switch, they use a harness that works off of the high beams. Only fogs have a switch.

Hi Rick,

I see two small "knockouts" that could be used for auxillary switches, in this case one on either side of the lighter - they've never been used.

I guess what I'm confused about is that they do appear to be original equipment, both by their appearance & by virtue of being listed on the certificate of authenticity. However, I've not seen them referred to as "high beam headlights above the front bumper" as opposed to fog lights, or driving lights.

Need a little help from the experts here - maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but it seems peculiar? Does anyone have a car with factory "driving lights" above the bumper out there? If so, is there a separate switch for them?

Thanks,
    Steve

Hi Jeff,

Just saw your post - so are "aux. high beams" different than "driving lights", or is it common terminology for the same thing?

Steve,

I believe Jeff is saying they are one in the same. He is also saying you don't need a dash mounted switch, just a relay to your high beams. This doesn't mean you can't add a switch and wire it up yourself to be relayed, or not - it just depends on your electrical skills.

Crummy pic to give you the idea

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

let's try the pic again

I'm a little stumped as to why I would have to add a relay (or anything) if these are original to the car - I guess that would mean the relay should be in there somewhere already - anyone know where to look for it?

Thanks,
    Steve

Factory Auxilary Headlight Kit

As I am also interested in adding some through the grille driving lights to my car, especially without drilling the dash for a switch, this discussion is helpful.

I looked up the "round head light kit" and the "round fog light kit" in the parts manual for 1971. They are different part #'s, 911.631.901.00 for the driving lights, and as Jeff stated the kit does not contain a switch like the fog light kit does. The kit does specify cable (harness) #911.612.073.00 and relay # 911.615.109.01 (the utility infielder relay).

Does anyone know a source for the cable, or can anyone post a picture/diagram of the wiring. I suppose the relay plugs in #2,3 or 4 next to the fuse box?

Thanks for any help or source for the harness.
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory Sporto, now Glacier Blue RS 3.5