Thread: Oil change now or in the Spring?

Oil change now or in the Spring?

Quick storage question.
    With temps hovering at or below freezing in Zurich these days, I am getting ready to tuck my 67 in for a few months. I try not to let her sit for more than a few weeks at a time, and make a point of driving her in winter at least once every 3 weeks.
    Since my last oil change (Mobile 1) back in Feb, I have put appr. 2,000 miles on my car. Am I better off doing the oil change now since the oil is close to a year old, or should I wait until I start driving her more regularly in March or April when the oil won't be left sitting for extended periods of time?
    I also picked up a bottle of Techron to clean off any carbon build-up on the valves or heads. Should I wait until the Spring to dump this into the gas tank, or do it now?

Probably does not matter much either way, although I'm sure some
    strong opinions will way in. I have done it either way, changed the oil
    out in the spring & before storing.

I would wait until spring, run the Techron in the tank , run the fuel empty
    then change the oil.
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Gruen, dont tuck him in yet, drive down here to spain, the weather is perfect and will let the boys play , but then for skiing it must be great.
    Are you going to Essen in april?
    I would change the oil, my opinion, it does not harm it and at least when you take it out you know its new.

I would strongly suggest that you get the old oil out now, and then run it until it's up to full operating temperature before tucking it away. The amount of contaminants in your present oil may be minimal, but your bearings will appreciate a coating of fresh lubricant. I can't think of a single "good reason" for waiting 'till Spring.

Jim
    With fresh oil in the 2.0S, 1600 Normal, 276 Flathead & 590cc R69S
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

I have heard is that there are acids and such that build up in the oil from the products of combustion. That the best thing that you can do for your car is to warm it up a bit, change the oil, put fresh oil in, run it up to operating temperature, fill to the fill line, and then leave the oil breather cap off to let the moisture evaporate out of the hot oil in the engine. This will leave fresh oil in your car for the winter, and let you git goin' with the first sign of spring!!!!

By then you will be hot to trot and won't want to take the time to put a fresh fill of oil in it.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC