Thread: Velocity Stack refinishing

Velocity Stack refinishing

I just dropped off my throttle bodies and stacks at Eurometrix and Matt will get the velocity stacks back to me later this week after putting new bushings for the throttle crossbar in them. I am having the clamps zinc plated. The upper steel part of the stacks is ok but I would like to finish them up and there is rust on the clamp mounts. Any recommendations? Is it as simple as stripping and respraying?

You can see the part I am talking about in this photo. It is the glossy black part with the Glad wrap on it.

This photo was taken when I had the engine out a few years ago. It was a major pain in the $%^^ to get to the nuts holding the throttle bodies. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas when I put the rebuilt ones back in?

cheers,
    Michael
    1970 S Coupe - Light Ivory - #9110300237
    1983 SC Cabriolet - Moss Green Metallic - #WP0EA091XDS170830

Mike, are you talking about the steel housings that the air filter housing clamps to? If so, then they were finished with a gloss black enamel new, but it's not a full gloss, as far as I know. I think that it was a little glossier than what is sold as satin finish these days, however.

I have had the engine sheet metal parts on my cars powdercoated with 30% gloss polyester black at Applied Plastics in Norwood, and I have been very happy with the results. The finish is duller than the original factory, but it's sturdier. If you get new engine sheet metal pieces from Porsche, they appear to be powdercoated with the same material.

If you want to be sure of original appearance, you could call Gary Cove at Werke Classic in Charlton. Gary has found a modern enamel that matches the factory appearance very nicely. Mark Allin at Precision Auto Restoration in Newburyport might have something, too.

If you're going to enamel the housings, then I would have them media blasted to clean metal, first.

Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Thanks for the info Tom. Yes, I am talking about the steel housings. It would be nice to get the air filter box done as well. I've made some calls today and think I will get the parts media blasted. Still trying to decide between paint and powder coating for the finish. I had the engine sheet metal powder coated a few years ago - you can see it in the photo above - and it turned out nice. I am not after concours but would like an attractive well done job. Plus, I am getting the clamps and throttle bar zink plated so having a nice black background would really make those parts "pop". I think I will give Gary Cove a call too.

cheers,
    Michael

Michael,

Get all the tin media blasted, but first taken in to the local prof. paint finishing store to have the black matched. They can either make a quart for you to put in a small detail gun, or even install it in a set of nice spray cans if you like. I paid about $75 for two large spray cans last time I did this...

As far as getting all the nuts back on the throttle bodies, time to get yourself a nice new set of snap-on or hazet 1/4 drive universal sockets...they will do the job nicely. Good luck...
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Thanks Michael, I found a Snap-On 1/4" 12mm swivel socket on eBay and ordered it. It looks to be just the ticket.

I gave a call to the shop Tom recommended and left a message. I think I am on the right track now.

cheers,
    Michael

Good luck. I just got my 71 MFI car started and running after a complete MFI rebuild that has not run since 92... I love it when a plan comes together...
    Michael

Well, I gave Gary a call and got the details. He seems to know these early Porsches well. Here is his link: http://www.werkeclassic.com

Unfortunately, he is on vacation until 8/4 but I am going to wait. 3 day turnaround time. He quoted $450 for the 2 air filter bases and the big air filter box to media blast and refinish. The paint he uses is impervious to carb cleaner, gasoline, etc and is a dead on match for factory. I think my 70 S is worth it.

cheers,
    Michael

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney
    He quoted $450 for the 2 air filter bases and the big air filter box to media blast and refinish.

WOW...that seems pricey! I guess that is why I am a DIYer...
    Michael

I would actually prefer to do it myself but I really would like to get the glossiness spot on since this is the most visible thing in the engine compartment. I checked with some local paint shops to color match but that does not consider the actual glossiness. The airbox is not quite full gloss but is glossier than satin. Anyone have any suggestions on appropriate paint? The media blasting itself is not that much and worth the results imo.

cheers,
    Michael

Well, I just saved myself a lot of $$ and hassle. I had never really scrutinized my air box until just a few minutes ago. I always assumed that since the clamp brackets on the stack cans was rusty that the air box itself was too. Turns out that after cleaning up and polishing the air box it really looks super. There are a few very minor chips on the clamp points and 1 on the upper part of the front round air filter "cap". I think a very simple brush touch up on these areas will be fine and maintain the original finish of the box. THe stack cans will be blasted and sprayed with Eastwood chassis black semigloss - that appears to be a reasonable close approximation and they are not all that visible anyway.

cheers,
    Michael