Thread: Rennsport IV: Speaking of drives...

Rennsport IV: Speaking of drives...

Guys,
    It's gonna be just me and a Honda Odyssey van heading up to Laguna Thurs. a.m. @ o'dark early...my normal route predictable and boring...

1. from my house it's on to highway 58 over techachapi pass and through Bakersfield to:
    2. I-5 (or 99) up to:
    3. Highway 46 to Paso Robles and then:
    4. on the 101 up to Chualar(sp?) turnoff - it's a shortcut to highway 68 (gets me around Salinas completely...)

Question for all the road warriors: isn't there a better, more engaging way to get to Monterey besides the 101? The van doesn't handle THAT bad, and I sure would like to drive some cool roads for a change...I'm open for any ideas. I'm not going to drive Porsche fast...but "brisk"

Any ideas? Looking forward to seeing some of you folks up there!

Cheers
    r/Thom

Try this , connect off of highway 5 farther north than 46 . Goes through Colinga. Similar to 46 but differant . You have to drive more of 5 , but if you've never done it .....'differant' (nice in a sports car ...and usually way less law than 46) :

California State Route 198

Not a bad call, Peekaboo...

I just looked up 198 on the map and it looks like it might be fun - just checked the Cal Dot site, and it looks like a little construction going on in places...but it's less than 50 miles point to point so it shouldn't be terrible. Good way to break up the monotony... Good thing I'm leaving o'dark early.

Any other thoughts? anyone? I've done Nacimiento road down to PCH before - I ain't doing that in the Van... I'd need a good outlaw 356 for that one

Cheers
    r/Thom
    Last edited by Homemade 911; 10-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Why don't you take Highway 58 all the way across to Paso Robles across the Carrizo Plain?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Another great suggestion! I don't think I've EVER taken 58 any further west beyond the 5.
    Cool Picture BTW...

Cheers
    r/Thom
    Last edited by Homemade 911; 10-07-2011 at 09:28 PM.

There's some very pretty scenery on 58, make back a bit of time on 101 to Greenfield then go into Monterey on Carmel Valley Road.
    You may be in a minivan, but there are worse ways to kill two hours. Damn, sometimes I wish we lived out there. Fun drives.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I'd say that'd be an epic route: Once you've crossed from the desert over to Bakersfield, cross the Central Valley and take Highway 58 up the Carrizo Plain, then Panza Road up through Creston and Creston Road up to Paso; get on 101 up to Greenfield and then G-16 Arroyo Seco Road to Carmel Valley Road.

All very do-able in a mini-van... But better in a 911...

-- David

Well, folks...

Looks like we've got a route. It'll be what Nine17, Bullethead, and others offline have suggested; SH 58 straight through to Paso Robles, hit the 101 north to Greenfield, and then off onto the Carmel Valley Road combination. Can't wait - whole route looks good on Mapquest. Baja Cantina is right on the way - natch. Unfortunately I'll probably approach the Baja Cantina before noon - but, then again, there's lunch...

This will be the 1st time (in a long time) that I've driven to Monterey in anything other than my diesel 1-ton p/u pulling a 20ft trailer with my own (now departed) Porsche in it. It's a liberation of sorts...anyone got a spare Porsche that needs a little exercise?? I'm very easy on equipment (blatant hint... )

If any of you in your Porsches see a white Honda Mini van hanging with you...that'll be me.

Cheers
    R/Thom
    Last edited by Homemade 911; 10-08-2011 at 07:55 AM.