Thread: Value of original complete HARDTOP for 1959 Porsche 356 #3860

Value of original complete HARDTOP for 1959 Porsche 356 #3860

Good morning everyone,

I am hoping that you can help me put a fair value on this hardtop which came originally on a 1959 Porsche 356. The serial number on it is #3860, we have had it in storage for several years and need to free up some space.

It is all complete and original, color appears to be Dolphin Grey. Rubber is worn out and could probably use a freshening up, but if you are looking for original patina this is the top for you! All glass is Sekurit and in excellent condition. The aluminum trim is also complete and in good condition. The latches are all in good working condition, the chrome on the center latch is mostly gone but still in good working condition. Headliner is in good condition as well. The surface has some very small spots which all appear to be surface rust, no holes.

Any additional information about the top would be great as there seems to be limited info out there on these hardtops. More pictures available through the link below~

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...=folder%2c.JPG

Thanks!!
    John

102_2213.jpg102_2204.jpg102_2219.jpg102_2216.jpg102_2205.jpg
    Last edited by P-CarLover; 04-30-2014 at 07:28 AM.

When I sold my 356 cab I had to beg the buyer to take the hardtop too. They are a real pain in the but to use so most are buried in storage, just like yours. I would price it around $1000 and hope someone comes along that has never owned one before.

Haha well I hope to get more then $1000 but thanks for the insight! Definitely not an easy thing to deal with but if you need/want one, they aren't making any more of 'em!

I just helped a guy sell his Pre A Speedster and it came with a Glaspar top, all the hardware and the plexi widows. The Glaspar is considered the better of the two aftermarket options (only option, as the factory never made one, that I am aware of). I don't know what the added value was to the deal, but I suspect it was less than $5K and this was almost a $300K deal. All interested buyers paid virtually no attention to the hardtop, which suprized me. I would advertise it on the 356 Registry for $4K and see where it goes from there. My .02
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Thanks Chris,

I finally made it over to that 356 registry and did see one posted from a short while ago priced @ $3500 so all things considered i'll probably put it out there for $5k obo - after all they aren't making them any more!

Thanks!
    John

some things are rare for a reason...
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

If you put it out for 5K it will be there for a very long time. Bata's 3,5K top has been on there for ages. Search the registry forum. The hard tops have never been valuable nor popular for some reason. I don't understand why, I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    If you put it out for 5K it will be there for a very long time. Bata's 3,5K top has been on there for ages. Search the registry forum. The hard tops have never been valuable nor popular for some reason. I don't understand why, I like them.
    Yes, but you are a Northern European.
    The bulk of your population hate open cars.
    I am convinced that is why Porsche put those tops on perfectly good convertables which made them into Coupes just so they could sell Cabs in places other than California.
    By the way, Anybody want a hardtop (never used) for a 996 Cab? I've got one that I will just about give away.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by P-CarLover View Post
    Thanks Chris,

I finally made it over to that 356 registry and did see one posted from a short while ago priced @ $3500 so all things considered i'll probably put it out there for $5k obo - after all they aren't making them any more!

Thanks!
    John
    Good luck with that! And, yes, they aren't making them anymore, thank goodness.

Ciao

Jim