Thread: Transmission identification

Transmission identification

Hi folks!

My first, but surely not last post here. Could someone help me with the transmission code as I dont seem to find a unambiguous source for it.

It is manual box with 901/07 marking and serial 719 1082 and it has differential lock on it. The casing has 38/68 stamp and 901.301.101.0R part number. Is this S transmission or what?

Thanks!

http://www.blueskymotorsports.com/in...id=17&Itemid=6

A F M S C R&P 7:31S

911S ? The note does not identify a specific model but not all have an S called out on the R&P. Maybe that is what that means.

It is a early 69 Aluminum case 5spd trans. There is no way to know if it came from a T, E, or S. I guess it depends if you are buying or selling. If selling, it is an "S", but if you are buying it is a "T". The date stamp in the trans case says it was made in the 38th week of 1968. In it's current configuration, it will only fit a 1969 car and nothing else. Those were only made for a short period of time for the first few 1969 model cars and then the trans cases were made from Pressure cast Magnesium for the rest of 1969 and beyond. It is a bit of a bastard, unfortunately.

Regards

Jim

Thank you for the replys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harriman View Post
    A F M S C R&P 7:31S
    911S ? The note does not identify a specific model but not all have an S called out on the R&P. Maybe that is what that means.
    A F M S Z

The S after 7:31 indicates a simplified differential.
    The original axle flanges for this transmission are scarce and valuable.
    Transmission will work in earlier cars if flanges are back-dated to '68 type.

Mikkoh, what do you mean "it has a differential lock on it"?

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

My typing skills suck. C for 5th gear

Mikkoh, what do you mean "it has a differential lock on it"?
    I mean it has mechanical lock to prevent only one wheel to spin. The transmission works so amazingly well that I must say I tough it might had been much much later. It´s far better than any 915-box I have ever had. Gears engage up and down in any speed without any trouble.

Transmission will work in earlier cars if flanges are back-dated to '68 type.
    This transmission is in my´65 along with 911/07 engine. For now.