Thread: windshield seal issues

windshield seal issues

For the last 4-5 years it seems that every non O.E., factory seal, I put in on 911 and 356 is too small. I have tried seals from damn near every vendor so far. A 356 I did last year the owner decided to try VELOCESPACE's seals after the Stoddard ones didn't fit, and the V.S was the best fit I've seen in a while. Has anyone else been running into this, and has anyone tried V.S. 911 seals ? Pic is a 70-T I'm putting back together. This is a Mercantile seal, and for full disclosure it is an aftermarket windshield, BUT I have been running into this with factory windshields as well. I'm trying to pull the corners out enough to lip over and have 3 BARELY over, and I know within 4 months it will have shrunk into the channel like most seem to be doing. Got a 64 356 I'm also putting back together, that was so far off I'm certain if the owner took off down the freeway with the windows down, the back glass would have blown out of the car. Seriously it was that loose. Back to fighting it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

i only use original porsche seals ...everything else i have tried/have seen in the past failed...

I would stick with OE seals also. But there are also a couple of installation tips that can help. One Window installer I know puts a small piece of cord in the window channel on the upper corners of the window to push the seal out. Aslo of course, once the window is installed you can (carefully) use an appropriately shaped tool to tap the trim inserted in the rubber to push it out to the corners.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I agree, ideally a factory seal and factory windshield are the best solution, BUT when customer buys a whole rubber kit for close to 2K shouldn't the 2 most important seals fit properly ? I'm also aware that the fact this windshield is aftermarket, is also an issue I have had even with O.E. seals. A friend of mine that used to work at the dealership in the 80-90's told me yesterday Porsche themselves had issues with seals being small in the 80's and the fix was exactly what you said Chuck. They were instructed to remove the glass and place a piece of cord in between the glass and rubber to push the edges out. That said, I've never come across a windshield that had this " dealership mod " done

FWIW the rear window seal fit the glass like a worn out prison condom, but once I got the trim in and installed in the car it looks great..... save for the 2 bottom corners of course, but they are much better than the front rubber. Interestingly enough, the rear rubber seems to be made by a different manufacturer, even though they both came in the same master kit. Maybe it's just my time of the month to rant about crappy aftermarket parts. Seems to happen a least once a month I just for the life of me can't understand how, in this day and age, we can't seem to reproduce a part from 40 + years ago perfectly. Same thing with the Am cars I deal with, close but no cigar......
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

This is fixed by re-shaping the trim with a piece of hardwood and a hammer. I'm sure if you search "paint stick" and "window trim" there will be a thread or two detailing the exercise but you just force the trim into the corner and the seal will fit like it is supposed to.

We only use factory seals for windows and hood seals especially. Rule of thumb is if its available OEM then that's what we get. Second rule of thumb is that if it is aftermarket assume it won't fit until proven otherwise.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'm curious what the basics are for quality control in the rubber especially. For the prices mentioned, there should be a very consistent and reliable result.

However, if the formulas in the the rubber have gone to a more rigid, less elastic product it would potentially inhibit fit also.

Call Goodyear and let's hear from them..